HybridZ

S130 vs S30 at high speeds 100mph+

I have a book that came from dealerships when they were first introducing the ZX.

It mentions extensive wind tunnel testing and explains the Cd (drag coefficient) went from 0.467 for the S30 down to ~0.385. Clf (lift coefficient) went from 0.41 to 0.11 and Cmv (yaw coefficient, how well it handles side-winds) went from 0.10 to 0.04.

I have a book that came from dealerships when they were first introducing the ZX.

It mentions extensive wind tunnel testing and explains the Cd (drag coefficient) went from 0.467 for the S30 down to ~0.385. Clf (lift coefficient) went from 0.41 to 0.11 and Cmv (yaw coefficient, how well it handles side-winds) went from 0.10 to 0.04.

I figured you'd find a use for that book sooner or later Hugh. ;) Glad you seem to like it!

Greg

the Z wasnt exactly designed with much areo in mind lol

anyone whos hit 80-90+ in an S30 with no airdam knows the feeling of your nose starting to lift lol

i call that the corvette floating feeling. that used to be the case with them as well. how hard is it to hit 140 in a stock s30, i thought all z/zx's hit a brick wall at about 90mph and slowly crawled up unless youve got some performace mods under the hood goiing on.

i call that the corvette floating feeling. that used to be the case with them as well. how hard is it to hit 140 in a stock s30, i thought all z/zx's hit a brick wall at about 90mph and slowly crawled up unless youve got some performace mods under the hood goiing on.

Iv had my S30 up to ~130, the "corvette floating feeling" gets a little scary there :shock:

my zx feels just as stable at 100 as it does at 50 or less (of course it doesn't feel as safe)

i do have the xenon air dam but from the pictures i have seen of them flopping in the wind idk it it really makes a difference

i will say that when me and my friend (who has a s30) parks next to each other at school you really do realize that the 280zx may be boxier even UgLiEr... but it does seem alot lower and more aerodynamic

At a 125ish, plus, the 82zx starts to get light in the steering.

At 140 it is a both hands on the wheel.

This is my experience in Montana with lifted speed limits, so I had long stretches of runs. Heck, average cruising was at 100 for hours.

Stock, (old) shocks, this may have given me different results, just when you hit ups in the road she would take her time to come back down.

i do have the xenon air dam but from the pictures i have seen of them flopping in the wind idk it it really makes a difference

flopping around in the wind, is that the neoporene (soft plastic like rubber, i cant spell it). if so that is one reason i am staying away from those and going with a hard or glassed air dam.

flopping around in the wind, is that the neoporene (soft plastic like rubber, i cant spell it). if so that is one reason i am staying away from those and going with a hard or glassed air dam.

its polyurethane i believe, i have had several times where i have hit things/bottomed out so im glad i got urethane instead of fiberglass

both have advantages, both depend on how you drive, where you drive, how much you drive

pis of a polyurethane airdam on a s30, gotta believe the s130 airdam is worse because its square shape

zccivbbq211.jpg