HybridZ

260Z seatbelt interlock. Defeat

Is this refering to the seat belt being stuck? My 260's seatbelt has been stuck ever since I got it therefore making it unwearable

No, we are talking about the system that requires the seat belt to be latched in order to start the car.

There is more than one way to defeat the interlock system on the 260Z.

Here’s one: Unplug the two six-pin connectors going to the interlock module. The interlock module is located behind the relay bracket above the passenger side kick panel. You must keep the interlock relay (located next to the plastic-covered fused links on the engine firewall) plugged into its harness. You can unplug and remove the emergency re-set switch, if you want to. The re-set switch is located on the right side of the engine compartment and has the red push-button on it.

The procedure is outlined in the back of the "How to restore your Datsun Z Car" book. I had to do the same thing when on my 260. Here are the instructions:

1. Cut both the red/green stripe and red/yellow stripe wires about 3 inches from the emergency switch.

2. Join the connector ends of the loose wires.

3. Insulate the connected ends and remaining loose ends on the switch side.

I followed these directions and the interlock has worked great for me. No more pushing the red button everytime I start the car.

Brad

So this was posted for my cay. And all i did was unplug the wires from under the seat and it worked.

Yes, that will work. But, it’s not a foolproof solution. Even when you do that the interlock relay is being controlled by the interlock unit and still subject to possible nuisance “no-start†issues.

The preferred method is the technique described in post #8 which is what Nissan recommended in a TSB, which was copied in the "How To Restore" book. This method shorts out the interlock relay so that the relay and the interlock control unit are no longer part of the starter circuit.

I have this intermittent no start on my 1975 280z. Anybody have the wire colors to check. My red pushbutton switch is gone, hence the screwdriver in the car...LOL I think i see where it used to go on the passenger fenderwell, I am just not sure. Link to the book would be great.

Yes I have one. I see the relay in passenger side kickpannel. I am almost sure mine has been disabled. The problem is I get a low voltage at the starter trigger wire (10.5 volts) hence the no start. If they make the relay stay on all the time I may have a bad contact on the relay. I really need a Datsun wiring diagram. The place that I worked as a tech (Nissan dealer) threw there old Datsun manuals away cause someone deceided to clean up.... go figure.... Even my older fellow Tech's couldn't believe it.

• 3 months later...