HybridZ

seattlejester's 1971 240Z

Wow, now that is well built (wish they had a drool emotiocon)!

I can't even fathom how much that would weigh. It looks feather light!

Billet aluminum, tie-rod ends, and carbon fiber tubes, things I can only dream of at this point.

Mind if I ask how you attached your bedding posts to the bottom plate?

I didn't realize there were about 4 of us college students in the Seattle area with a passion for Zs!

Bellevue, Mukilteo, Seattle, and Tacoma :)

Sounds like we should get together for a few beers, shop BS, and ranting about school...

seattlejester, it really looks like things are coming along! I desperately wish I had access to my shop over here on this side of the state!

Mind if I ask how you attached your bedding posts to the bottom plate?

Thanks for the comments. I am pretty proud of my creation. The design is nothing radical but I believe the use of CF tubing is.

My design has the bedding posts flush with the underside of the frame rail. The sway bar top plate and clamp rests against the bottom of the bedding posts therefore the posts take all of the clamping force. The threaded centers protrude from the frame rail and plates enough to get a nut and lock washer affixed. Unfortunately I do not have an image captured from the underside to show this.

post-4776-028091300 1323264674_thumb.jpg

Cockerstar: Beers sound good, always love shooting the breeze. Pick a time and place after next week. Same cockerstar on mcb?

Litman: I see, I did the same but I guess I'm worried that they might fall over if I try to extract them and be lost inside the frame rail. Probably being far too paranoid again.

I didn't realize there were about 4 of us college students in the Seattle area with a passion for Zs!

Bellevue, Mukilteo, Seattle, and Tacoma :)

Sounds like we should get together for a few beers, shop BS, and ranting about school...

seattlejester, it really looks like things are coming along! I desperately wish I had access to my shop over here on this side of the state!

agree'd. I have access to a fun shop :D

Pictorz

IMG_0006.jpg

I guess I dont have any photos of the huge vented lighted paint booth, so heres a little bit of it with the parts z and le gti vr6

I'm totally down for drinks and a cruise (probably not in that order) or whatever sometime (I'm good at ranting about school). I'll be gone for a three weeks for Christmas at my folks house then hopefully the Z and I will be out here again.

NWN is pretty useful for finding tires and wheels :).

I'll hopefully have a more fruitful update this weekend.

I finished my last final today, thought I'd head into work and grab a few hours before I head home to sleep a bit. Then wake up and finish up the passenger side I never finished.

Body filler is almost done, just need to putty some small holes. I'm pretty sure I have enough primer and undercoat, just need to grab some truck bedding to finish off the interior.

Started spraying the rear end and realized that I couldn't spray the engine bay until I mount the clutch slave cylinder (bracket was welded on somewhere), realized I couldn't mount the clutch slave without knowing where it's suppose to go (if I remember correctly, it goes somewhere on the frame rail near the battery tray?) trying to find a bunch of reference pictures for engine bays and transmission tunnel.

Setting up some deals to either buy some watanabe's or maybe a 280zx turbo driveline. I'm hoping that the zx is in really poor condition and I end up just walking away from it, I really don't think I'm ready to push back my start date anymore.

Congrats on finals. It's good to be done isn't it?

The slave cylinder mounts to your transmission. At least it does on the 4 speed with removable bell housing.

Edit: and with the newer 4 speed and FS5W71C 5-speed (from 86NA Z31)

Edited by OmakZ

Congrats on finals. It's good to be done isn't it?

The slave cylinder mounts to your transmission. At least it does on the 4 speed with removable bell housing.

Edit: and with the newer 4 speed and FS5W71C 5-speed (from 86NA Z31)

Correct. The slave mounts to the transmission, with its rod pushing against the shift fork.

It's great! A few relaxing days of working/sleeping until grades are posted :rolleyes: .

Wow I'm really embarrassed. It's been far too long and I think I'm confusing parts up.

Now that I think about it, what I cut off was the bracket that holds the hardline, junction that feeds the slave, since I have a full hardline kit I believe this is my subconscious trying to sabotage my plans to move ahead :P

So not sure if anybody saw this coming...but the passenger side is different.

4d66c2f8.jpg

It has this little cover, and underneath the cover is an intricate layer of metal with the purpose of providing fresh air for the fan to pull through when using the heater.

After much contemplation, probably about half an hour or more going back and forth, feeling around, generally debauchery, and swearing, I came up with this solution.

65f1f33f.jpg

Mount it like I did for the harnesses.

0bb47701.jpg

And voila, can't really do the cross strut brace until the engine and hood are in to check clearance, but a tad more body work to do, a little more welding up front, the rear strut brace, and the fuel cell cover plate flap, and we'll be on our way :).

Edited by seattlejester

• 2 weeks later...

Been working a few hours every day; I can see why people end up using so much body filler, it really is an endless process trying to get the curvature just right, etc etc. I think I'm finally done unless I choose to revisit two or three spots. We'll see by the time I get there.

Sorry this isn't where the car is currently, but to show I'm in a step in the right direction...

03b395e9.jpg

63e29c11.jpg

The front strut brace is primered as well, I figure it would be pointless to paint it, only to bring it back down when I weld in the cross brace.

As of now, I used some caulking on the engine bay, some 3m fire retardant stuff. I'm not too happy with how it applied, but we'll see how it cures. The front 1/3 of the car is primered/undercoated, I'll be applying the paint for the engine bay tomorrow along with taping off the rest of the interior after grinding down some spots underneath. The first white spot may be appearing tomorrow if all goes well :).

Waiting on a friends availability to help put the fuel cell in so I can mock up the trap door. Quite difficult to align it myself. Definitely something on the "I'll fix it later list."

On a side note, spotted this and made my day.

d59c6b22.jpg

Thought it was a corvette or impala from afar, but when I pulled up behind it I was stoked (drove an extra light just to get a picture). Hopefully when the ban lifts in 3 years, I'll be able to import my very own R32 skyline!

On a side note, spotted this and made my day.

d59c6b22.jpg

Thought it was a corvette or impala from afar, but when I pulled up behind it I was stoked (drove an extra light just to get a picture). Hopefully when the ban lifts in 3 years, I'll be able to import my very own R32 skyline!

progress looks good!

also, I see quite a few up here in lynwood/mukilteo area. Weird that they'd be not popular in bellevue haha

I see them at meets all the time but they're from BC. I always thought it would be cool to have an R32 but now I'm thinking Stagea + R34 front clip (once you've owned a wagon it's hard to live without one).

Progress is looking good BTW. Can't wait to see it all painted.