HybridZ

Bead-blasted the bottom of my 240z, sharing pics

Hey All,

Just thought Id share a few pics of my chassis blasting project, and yes I'm stupid I did it in my garage on jack stands, heheheheeh

Not to much fun, I think I lost 2 years off my life my ingesting nasty stuff but hey the bliss I will have when I'm done with my Z will add say 3 years to my life so in reality I think I'm up 1 year but I digress, heheheh

The problem was that the car had (seriously) at least 75 to 100 pounds of undercoating, road crap, dead animal guts, etc... attached to it. I had no idea if there was rust. So I started with glass bead, it failed to be a reasonable media, then I added / mixed in 40 grit carbide media with the glass bead, it cut a little better but still very slow at removing undercoating. So then I bought some plastic media from EBAY and holly crap did it work great, no heat in to the sheet-metal, no warping, no metal removal, etc... awesome stuff in my experience.

I live in California (silicon valley) so not salted roads here, so I decided on an etching primmer. scotch bright'ing in between coats, then Eastwood epoxy satin chassis black.

Check it out...

post-1617-093562400 1303181753_thumb.jpg

post-1617-043004500 1303181769_thumb.jpg

post-1617-047086800 1303181784_thumb.jpg

Sorry I didn't include a link to the media, but here ya go:

http://cgi.ebay.com/50-lbs-Plasti-Grit-Plastic-Blasting-Media-20-30-grit-/180616830320?pt=Sanders_Sandblasters&hash=item2a0d9a1d70

They have a website too:

http://balaurblastworks.com/site/services/abrasives/

However, it just points you to their Ebay store to buy it.

I spent the 100 bucks to get the media after doing a bunch of research, and also deciding that ingesting glass and silica wouldn't be good for my health, heheheh

I taped plastic to the frame and then to the floor to keep it all under control, then put a fan at the back of the car blowing towards the front, with a vacuum cleaner on the other end sucking all the dust in. Worked pretty dam good I must say. Also I bought a blasting hood from eastwood, 35 bucks, and wore swimming goggles and hearing protection to keep the media out of my eyes and ears.

Id have to say it wasn't fun, but spending time on setting the area up well really payed off, I couldn't imagine doing it any other way. Well outside on a rotisserie would have been the smart thing to do, but don't have access to that stuff.

Anyhow thanks for the kind words about the results, next its on to the fender wells....

I taped plastic to the frame and then to the floor to keep it all under control, then put a fan at the back of the car blowing towards the front, with a vacuum cleaner on the other end sucking all the dust in. Worked pretty dam good I must say. Also I bought a blasting hood from eastwood, 35 bucks, and wore swimming goggles and hearing protection to keep the media out of my eyes and ears.

Id have to say it wasn't fun, but spending time on setting the area up well really payed off, I couldn't imagine doing it any other way. Well outside on a rotisserie would have been the smart thing to do, but don't have access to that stuff.

Anyhow thanks for the kind words about the results, next its on to the fender wells....

It looks great. How high off the ground did you have the car? Did you lay underneath it to blast it? How long did the actual blasting process take you?

I have the car approx. 16" off the ground, my brother and I took turns in blasting hell and finished it in 1 day, the biggest pain in the butt doing it yourself would be having to constantly get out from underneath the car, sweeping up all the media and filling the bead blaster bucket over and over. I seriously thought about just using a garbage can and a hopper for the bead blaster, hehehheh

Still, if you have a buddie helping you it will only take day, if not, block your schedule out for 2 days

i did my 280z kinda like you did. took all day. then i did my 240z on my outside lift at work with my industrial sandblaster and my big tow behind compressor, done in about 10 mins with the big setup (has a 2inch charge hose). now i know how to do it :)

dude if you ever do anything like that go to lowes and get a respirator. medical masks dont do crap for silica (sand) not to mention its illegal to use that in CA. but shhhhh

i plan on using plastic media when i get into the body work.

What kinda of media blaster and compressor did you use?

I used a hopper from harbor freight tools, it comes with a small hopper, and the blasting gun. I just used my trusty little 25gal, cambell hausfield 1HP air compressor I bought from Home Depot like 15 years ago.

Id suggest putting the car up in the air as high as you can get it, mine was only like 16 inch's, and id suggest a respirator,full hood and swimming goggles. Kinda funny but its cheap and it works, now if I could have just figured out how to keep all the media out of my underwear it would have been much more comfortable to do, hehehehheeh

Good luck if you decide to attempt it, it really wasn't that bad, Id really suggest having a buddy there to keep the hopper full, that will save you tons of time. I had my brother help me and man what a life saver that was, thanks bro........