HybridZ

CV Axle Discussion

kj280z

Still trying to get them on the phone to find out about the short CVs. No luck.

Also have a 41 spline chromoly 300ZXT stub axle companion flange setup as well that fits the Z31T CV shafts, and no, it cannot be adapted to the S30.

I'm going to try again on the Z stub axles, but I guess the good news is that I do have chromoly diff stubs that fit the 930 CV shafts, so I'm 1/2 way there.

Edited by JMortensen

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've basically written off the original CV that I sent out. I expect that I won't get it back and that I'll never get the parts ordered.

I did find another company that will make CV's and they are more expensive. I have a set on order and they received my 2nd CV shaft yesterday. Hopefully this one doesn't disappear, otherwise expect a WTB ad for Z31T CV shafts.

If this all works out, I'll sell the LH shaft for about $325 (you swap the stock LH to the RH) and the set for $575. I have to see what the shipping charges and all that are going to be before I finalize the prices, but so far this company is much more responsive.

So, first mishap with my 300ZXT axle swap yesterday.

I was rough on the car out in the bean fields and cow pastures, a 4K launch pulling to 6800, then shift to 2nd, chirpBLAMrapraprapraprapraprap.

WTF? I thought the Z31T CV's were supposed to be pretty bombproof for non-turbo cars?

The actual damage was confined to shattering the CV cage, tearing the boot, and mangling the outer CV case a smidge. Replacing the cage, refitting the bearings, and cleaning up the outer case meant I could put the joint back together, but the retaining wire won't stay clipped into it's groove very well anymore...

You guys think I can put the thing back together and it'll get me home?

So, first mishap with my 300ZXT axle swap yesterday.

I was rough on the car out in the bean fields and cow pastures, a 4K launch pulling to 6800, then shift to 2nd, chirpBLAMrapraprapraprapraprap.

WTF? I thought the Z31T CV's were supposed to be pretty bombproof for non-turbo cars?

The actual damage was confined to shattering the CV cage, tearing the boot, and mangling the outer CV case a smidge. Replacing the cage, refitting the bearings, and cleaning up the outer case meant I could put the joint back together, but the retaining wire won't stay clipped into it's groove very well anymore...

You guys think I can put the thing back together and it'll get me home?

I'd like to see some pics of this if you have them

I didn't take any photos of the damage, I just a spare cage in it and put it back together to get me back to the house; I was 45 minutes away at a friends garage the day it happened. I'll take some photos when the new axle gets here and I take it apart again to put the new one in.

BTW, I used a 1993 pathfinder driver's side center shaft, and needed a 1.6" thick spacer to make it fit on the driver's side of the car, with the welded adaptors I made. On the passenger side, I used a driver's side 300ZX center shaft and had no problems putting it together.

I didn't take any photos of the damage, I just a spare cage in it and put it back together to get me back to the house; I was 45 minutes away at a friends garage the day it happened. I'll take some photos when the new axle gets here and I take it apart again to put the new one in.

BTW, I used a 1993 pathfinder driver's side center shaft, and needed a 1.6" thick spacer to make it fit on the driver's side of the car, with the welded adaptors I made. On the passenger side, I used a driver's side 300ZX center shaft and had no problems putting it together.

I'd like to see how you set things up as I used a 92 Pathfinder front axle center section to assemble my drivers side axle and only needed a spacer about .6" thick, 1.6" doesn't seem right.

The pathfinder got different front axles from 1993+. I couldn't find a 1990-1992 pathy in the yard. The CV asplosion I had was caused by running a .625" spacer. I did not have enough plunge travel left, and it yanked the inner race out of the outer cup, forcing itself past the wire retaining clip in the outer cup, and the approx 1/4" of bearing surface was just not enough to cope with the power. It allowed the inner ball race, cage, and balls to spin in the outer cup, and hammered out a nice smooth ring. the wire retaining ring will no longer stay put. There are no cracks or other damage to the outer race, and after installing the new thicker spacer, the already damaged CV is holding up fine. I still have a replacement on the way.

The 1.6" thickness was determined by compressing the CV shaft fully, measuring the distance from the CV mounting flange to the companion flange, and then subtracting 1/4". At full droop, the shaft is at its shortest, so leaving 1/4" gap at full droop would ensure that the shafts are never too long, and also that the shafts are never too short, since there is 1.25" of travel in the joint and the required travel is only about .375".

Might have something for you soon on this. I don't want to get too specific, just in case I get jerked around again like I did with the last guy.

I see you offer a Z31 kit

Would you be thinking of a like stub axle and companion flange combo for the 240 - 280z's?

Or companion flange only (if requested) ?

I'll probably do it both ways, but to start it would be a kit with the stub with more splines than stock, flange, and short CV shafts (you would still need the Z31T CV shafts to pull the CV joints from). I need to track down another 280Z stub axle and companion flange to do a stock sized shaft and spline count.

Got my CV prototypes today. They took a larger 1 5/16" shaft and turned down the end, so there will be NO strength issues on the shaft. It is BEEFY. They also deleted the inner snap ring because that sharp edge is a big stress riser and put a step in the splines to locate the CV races. On the outer ends of the shaft the CVs will slide on and be retained by the outside snap ring on the outer and the circlip on the inner.

Problem though... they forgot to print my measurements out and give them to the machinist, so the shafts I got were the same length as the stock RH shaft that I sent as a sample. They already sent me a call tag and have said they can cut the splines up further and get these back to me in a few days.

post-553-027993600 1318280378_thumb.jpg

post-553-032769500 1318280396_thumb.jpg

Edited by JMortensen

That looks very nice Jon!!!

It's gonna be fun getting the CV boot on those larger shafts but they certainly won't leak once in place. :)

Xnke,

I'd still like to see some pictures if you have them, all my information says that shafts from 90-95 Pathfinders are the same.