HybridZ

4th gen corvette suspension on 280z

greghassen

Heres the car i bought a while back that has a scarab mounted SBC with longtubes, ac, ps, and a full c4 rear suspension grafted in....(sadly) bought from the brother of a hybrid guy that died after a long battle with hep c...car is done very well. no shortcuts or 1/2 assing which is the only reason i bought it. This is how it is suppose to be done, i should get more/better pics, but this is what i have.

2ppfy3s.jpg

28c2bd4.jpg

he said it wasnt needed....he points out the benefits which are pretty much what i see. If you can fab or have the chance to buy one well built id be all over it,oh wait too late....because not only do you get wider, already set up for v8 suspension, you also get those huge brakes, off the shelf/no fab/cheaper/more readily available parts, LSD, lower gear ratio....i really dont see the down side to the swap unless you have no fabrication skills. It has been done many times with alot of info/build pages and the parts/complete rear ends are cheaper than an aftermarket lsd and better ratio...you get the brakes and other advantages for free seems like to me.

I can see a lot of potential upsides, but the cost and time investment for fabrication is nothing to scoff at.

I think the point that people are bringing up is that the rear suspension in a S30 is rarely a handling hindrance. You can fit a 245 in the rear just fine, and converting to disc brakes isn't difficult. And even with stock drum brakes people have put out some amazing lap times around the world in these cars...

The biggest problem facing the rear area is the diff and stub axles holding huge torque numbers from a big V8. Obviously the R200 will hold the power, so that's not a issue to upgrade to, but LSD options are expensive. But frankly so is a corvette suspension setup.

So for most of us, it just doesn't make a ton of sense.