HybridZ

1970 240z Project (Very slow, money is tight)

Well I had some free time tonight to play in the garage, so I ended up taking off the E88 head, after I took the head off I looked at the valves, I don't know what to look for anyways but I can see the exhaust valves have this rust color to them. I don't know if thats normal, and I don't know what else to look for, I need to go through my books to see. I had a newer fel pro metal head gasket. I don't know if this is due to the car running rich, or if this is standard carbon deposit from normal wear and tear. Im thinking of just doing some head work and leaving the pistons as they are, what do you guys think? I'll be picking up two extra heads this weekend, a P79 complete and a Maxima n47 for a grand total of 35 dollars! going to try and get some of the paint off this weekend on the body, this is going to be the long part!

post-15914-091889400 1325918380_thumb.jpg

post-15914-085860600 1325918403_thumb.jpg

post-15914-077166800 1325918505_thumb.jpg

post-15914-082282900 1325918522_thumb.jpg

post-15914-038362700 1325918620_thumb.jpg

post-15914-091446000 1325918679_thumb.jpg

post-15914-001398100 1325918865_thumb.jpg

post-15914-057469000 1325918934_thumb.jpg

Update:

I found an amazing deal this weekend, I got a P79 head complete and a almost complete Maxima N47 head for a grand total of 35 bucks! Awesome older gentleman I met in emeryville since he lives in SF and Im very east bay in lIvermore. I did get a chance to clean the carbon deposits off the top of my pistons and boy was their a lot! Everything looks good except for the one small dent left by a valve. Im wondering if thats what happened to the E31 head thats supposed to go to this block, it was covered with the carbon, so I don't think it was from me since I only had driven the car for about 10 miles tops before taking it apart. On a side note, I started paint stripping the car, I have aircraft stripper, but I ad the use the other paint stripper I bought first to make sure it didn't go to waste. :)

post-15914-062609600 1326154723_thumb.jpg

post-15914-090082900 1326154812_thumb.jpg

post-15914-005378700 1326154832_thumb.jpg

post-15914-039550400 1326154850_thumb.jpg

post-15914-021443500 1326154880_thumb.jpg

post-15914-015238100 1326154900_thumb.jpg

post-15914-083478200 1326154915_thumb.jpg

post-15914-000110800 1326155011_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Found a performance shop in my home town, I'll be heading over their tomorrow morning to get some info on some head work. I'll be bringing my N42 head and my P79 head. I'll be going with the head that will cost the least to work on. I only want some mild work done on it since I'll be putting it on my L24. If this shop does a good job, I'll be putting the money into the stroker motor later once the car is done.

I;ll be posting some pics tomorrow on the status of my ride, did a trade with a local Hybrid Z member. I traded my older 5speed for a firewall and driver side frame to fix the crashed portion. I just have to make the cuts and pick up a welder to weld the parts on and that will be one huge headache taken care of.

Took my N42 head over to Terry Tinney motor sports here in livermore. This shop mainly does Alfa romeo and Bmw Racing builds, Im having them check my N42 head that I got. They are pressure testing the head to make sure there's no cracks. Terry also checked my valves and they are going to need work since they were leaking air when he put some air pressure through each valve. Heres a video update that I made today while I waited for the paint stripper to do its job.

• 1 month later...

Well It's been awhile since I've posted, still working on the Z ofcourse. I've been sanding the body and using aircraft stripper to get the first layer of paint and clear coat+body filler off. Then I've been sanding with my air compressor sander 80 grit, 120 grit, and 240 grit. The back driver side is basically all sanded down to metal, I didn't want to use a wire wheel because it makes really deep scratches in the metal.post-15914-085509500 1331268168_thumb.jpg

Now im on to the roof of the car and I must say air craft stripper really burns >:(post-15914-081124800 1331268366_thumb.jpg

I did also get most of the hood finished, if I can make some room in my garage I will also tackle trying to make the Carbon Fiber hood I've been planning on making.

post-15914-068329000 1331268486_thumb.jpg

Since I was able to leave early from work today I tackled removing the hatch sill plate since I know it was covered in body filler/silicon and paint. Instead of just cutting it off like most people. Instead I drilled out the spot welds and pride it off. It did take awhile but Im happy with the result, I do however have to cut off some small pieces, but I will be ordering my new hatch sill from Z car source. post-15914-092427100 1331268991_thumb.jpg

It's about 134 bucks, but I know that It will fit and I don't have to do really any modifications. Heres what the hatch plate looks like after I pulled it off.

post-15914-022369200 1331269250_thumb.jpgpost-15914-002074200 1331269336_thumb.jpg

To keep myself busy I bought a valve compressor to take apart my heads, really wanted one so I can get the work done on the head and valves and put them back on myself, I bought this on amazon for about 42 bucks, I added some duct tape and bubble wrap on the valve end so it won't scratch the valves :).

I've been in a search for an E31 head and have found a few people willing to sell for a good price. I was trying to find a head that was in running condition to just bolt on and run but the one I found which is a member on here was supposed to send me a vid and never got back to me. I was ready with cash in hand, I hope he reads this and send me my vid :) If not I'll be purchasing from another member. I also have been playing around with the idea of making a high compression L28 on the side with a MN47 head since I found a gas station near by that sells 94 and 100 octane. Might make for a fun ride :) I'll make a video tomorrow when Im not so tired.

• 3 weeks later...

It is...I need updates. I really wanna see how that hatch sill installation goes. I've had mine sitting around for over a year and need some motivation. :)

I'll be ordering my new hatch sill this week or next. Im picking up the welder this weekend hopefully, I'll try and show how im going to tack it on and weld it, Im really due for an update, I'll get that up this week too...If I can remember lol. I have most of the car down to metal now and im stripping the doors and fenders. I found an E31 head and its at the machine shop right now getting cleaned, blasted, and Im pretty sure i'll be switching the valve seats to steal instead of the old bronze ones. Most of the valves were sealing just fine, but with two broken studs and the valves caked on with carbon deposit they will be cleaned too. After thinking long and hard I'll be running this head stock with my E31 block and adding triple mikunis and my MSA 6-1 Exhaust, an electric fan, new radiator. I feel that power will keep me happy for awhile till I either build my High compressing MN47/F54 flat top motor. I'll be doing a more performance cam, springs. But that will be one day for my combo.

Im really trying to convince my wife to help me with the interior, what Im looking for is a suede/alcantara type of interior like todays super cars. Im not going to add too much Dynamatt sound deadner as that stuff is really heavy, but I will be adding some to the fire wall, center transmission tunnel. But I don't know how much it weighs so I may add more in the end but well see. Video to come this week guys I promise!

Great thread and great work, have you considered maybe in addition to this thread maybe split up to sub sections and do a more thorough "walk through" of body work, mechanical work, suspension, electronics, carbon fiber (how about making an extra to sell? ;) ), etc...

The amount of work you are doing deserves multiple threads.

i would also be very interested in seeing some suede/alcantara interior, i personally hated the stock vinyl interior look, look and feels too cheap.

I'm also curious how much experience do you have doing something like this? Im not questioning your abilities, just impressed by the amount of work being done.

Great thread and great work, have you considered maybe in addition to this thread maybe split up to sub sections and do a more thorough "walk through" of body work, mechanical work, suspension, electronics, carbon fiber (how about making an extra to sell? ;) ), etc...

The amount of work you are doing deserves multiple threads.

i would also be very interested in seeing some suede/alcantara interior, i personally hated the stock vinyl interior look, look and feels too cheap.

I'm also curious how much experience do you have doing something like this? Im not questioning your abilities, just impressed by the amount of work being done.

I never really thought of it actually, I think I might do that. I made a video update of the build its taking its sweet time to load on youtube right now, so I'll pot it up as soon as I can. It was getting late so I'll make a how to n what im doing and also take pictures and such tomorrow. I saved all my interior so I can hopefully get my wife to get some sewing down with my ideal interior.

I have 0 experience!!! I've never really worked on a car except my daily when it breaks down like today lol. I watched a lot of rebuild shows, I look up stuff online, and a friend tells me whats next. We'll see how she turns out, Im not looking for show quality, but I want it done right the first time so I never have to worry again. Besides if she does become show quality I won't mind :)

I have taken a brake on the carbon fiber making since I really need to concentrate on finishing up the body work and paint since thats the worst thing in the entire world lol, but I will make a thread and once I have it set I'll try to offer it and see whos interested. I woun't mind making a little extra on the side and maybe I can offer it cheaper then what I've been seeing it online, and I know that a lot of people with RB build would love to save a little extra weight ;)

Ii have the passenger door just about done. Just need to finish the top portion then I can get onto the driver side door. I made a video today on how I'm stripping the paint off the entire car, same method all around, I'll take some pics and also create a how too thread a little later, hopefully this weekend. Went and checked on my he's at the shop and it's still waiting to be blasted with the valves. I meant to go get some c02 Ar mix today since I got out of work early, but I wanted to start sanding the paint and attack the rust spots today, which I got a fair amount done, not as much as I wanted since I didnt have any charged batteries for my drill to use a 3m pad. Oh well I have three days off this weekend, maybe I can finish another door and get onto the rust in the cabin.

• 4 weeks later...

Nice thread Alex. Thanks for taking a look at my build; we have quite a bit in common with limited funds/high expectations.

Also, do you know what kind of wheels you have? I have very similar ones and I'm trying to figure out what they are exactly.

nice project...I am just a little ahead of you on my 71. All my body work is now done and I am now wet sanding with 600. I replaced the roof and leaded in the joint just like the factory did, repaired rust on floor pans, cut out all rust and also did the rear hatch decking, hit me up if you have any questions..

Nice thread Alex. Thanks for taking a look at my build; we have quite a bit in common with limited funds/high expectations.

Also, do you know what kind of wheels you have? I have very similar ones and I'm trying to figure out what they are exactly.

I have the enkie 96's that came with the car, I'll be getting rid of those since they aren't my style. You have the enkie 92's I believe.

nice project...I am just a little ahead of you on my 71. All my body work is now done and I am now wet sanding with 600. I replaced the roof and leaded in the joint just like the factory did, repaired rust on floor pans, cut out all rust and also did the rear hatch decking, hit me up if you have any questions..

I have to order my hatch Sill plate and continue sanding. I'm getting side tracked since my daily is not feeling to good, I did a motor pull Sunday so I can have that installed by my mechanic since I need it done quick and prefer to pay someone to do it for me in a couple days but I'll be back on the road soon. I'm going to try and get some sanding done soon, im buying a electric sander this week so I don't have the air compressor have 15 min rest periods lol.

Btw how high of a sand paper will you be using, I was going to wet sand with 1000-2000 grit when it came down to it. I want it to look like a professional did it as much as I can lol.

Wow, great job Alex... looks like you are making some good progress!

Thanks man! Yeah I've been missing out on the driving experience since starting this resto. If I ever get a new job and I'm still working on my Z, I'm totally buying a Z to drive lol.

Btw how high of a sand paper will you be using, I was going to wet sand with 1000-2000 grit when it came down to it. I want it to look like a professional did it as much as I can lol.

I sprayed the entire bare metal car with epoxy primer, then did my body work, then sprayed it with 3 coats of 2k high build primer, guide coated the 2k high build with 180 and 320 dry. Then shot 3 more coats of 2k high build and wet sanded with 400 and now doing 600 to remove orange peel in the primer. Then I will spray a 2k sealer right before I paint and let it flash, then I will paint the car and then wet sand with 1500-2000 to remove orange peel and trash...

I have been working on my body for almost a year now...

post-18988-058473900 1336449667_thumb.jpg

post-18988-082358900 1336449973_thumb.jpg

Edited by nix240z

I sprayed the entire bare metal car with epoxy primer, then did my body work, then sprayed it with 3 coats of 2k high build primer, guide coated the 2k high build with 180 and 320 dry. Then shot 3 more coats of 2k high build and wet sanded with 400 and now doing 600 to remove orange peel in the primer. Then I will spray a 2k sealer right before I paint and let it flash, then I will paint the car and then wet sand with 1500-2000 to remove orange peel and trash...

I have been working on my body for almost a year now...

Wow I'm in for a lot since I've never done this. So I've been doing some research and unread that putting a very thin layer of body filler before the first primer spray gives it a professional finish. Did you do that or just spray the primer first?