HybridZ

No Power Unless Timing is Extrememly Advanced

jc052685

I am new to RB's and this has me quite confused.

The car is a 95 240sx

The motor is a RB25det (Stock minus freddy intake and fmic)

The problem is if I set the base timing at the specified 15* the car has no power hardly at all. When I crank the CAS all the way the the left(maxed out), then the fell like what I believe the car should feel like. I have had VG30dett's in the past and I feel like I have a general idea what the RB should feel like in a 240sx and when the timing is set to 15* the car litterally is pathetic, a stock 240sx would probably be faster.

I have verified crank, cam, damper to all be timed properly.

Thanks

Jeff

Where are you pulling timing from?

Are you getting calculated base timing through the data port or taking an induction pickup reading?

How are you setting timing? Are you putting the ECU into base mode before making your adjustments? Knowing what year ECU you have will determine what steps are needed to adjust timing. An S1 and S2 have 2 different ways of adjusting timing.

What steps have you taken to insure accurate timing with the timing belt,CAS, and ignition advance?

Where are you pulling timing from?

Are you getting calculated base timing through the data port or taking an induction pickup reading?

How are you setting timing? Are you putting the ECU into base mode before making your adjustments? Knowing what year ECU you have will determine what steps are needed to adjust timing. An S1 and S2 have 2 different ways of adjusting timing.

What steps have you taken to insure accurate timing with the timing belt,CAS, and ignition advance?

Taking an inductive signal from the #1 plug wire

I set timing by letting engin idle up to normal temp then adjust the cas to the desired advance. The swap currently has no consult port so I cant put ecu in base mode. However this is the same way we have always set timing on other Nissans and has always worked as long as the temp is in the normal range.

I have an S2 RB25det

I have checked to make sure the balancer represents the proper crank angle by making sure piston is at tdc when the damper is at 0*.

Once damper is at 0* I pulled the upper timing cover and verified the cam timing.

Taking an inductive signal from the #1 plug wire

I set timing by letting engin idle up to normal temp then adjust the cas to the desired advance. The swap currently has no consult port so I cant put ecu in base mode. However this is the same way we have always set timing on other Nissans and has always worked as long as the temp is in the normal range.

I have an S2 RB25det

I have checked to make sure the balancer represents the proper crank angle by making sure piston is at tdc when the damper is at 0*.

Once damper is at 0* I pulled the upper timing cover and verified the cam timing.

Sounds like your on the right track for an S2. You shouldnt need the consult to base mode the S2, its done as you describe.

I can only guess from here on. What spark plugs and gap size are you running? Stock coils?

Does it run smooth at 15*BTDC, or does it have any bucking light or strong? Hopefully you have dumped the platinum plugs, though most of the time those sort of issues show up at a higher rpm.

The motor has NGK plugs (not sure of model#)

At 15* the car just has NO power. Feels as if the timing were extremely retarded. Even as advanced as it is my buddies stock nonturbo Z32 still pulls my S14. This should not happen! lol, his car is heavier and should be making less power but this thing just is not right and I just dont know where to go from here.

I know you said you verified it but it sounds like your a tooth off on the timing belt.

Yeah thats what I thought also, thats why I took the time to verify. Oh well, I have bigger problems right now anyway. It seams that some one at some point in time installed a neo turbo on the motor. Well I just experienced first hand a compressor wheel failure. New turbo time...

Yeah thats what I thought also, thats why I took the time to verify. Oh well, I have bigger problems right now anyway. It seams that some one at some point in time installed a neo turbo on the motor. Well I just experienced first hand a compressor wheel failure. New turbo time...

Ouch, make sure you clean your pipes and intercooler. Your lucky you still have an engine.

I Thought of the timing gears too. I was trying to tune a awd turbo celica a while back and had ridiculous timing in it to get it to idle. I finally figured out the cams were 180 off. Luckily nothing got hurt.

Yea, this problem has timing written all over it. My old honda prelude would look like it was dead nuts but it could still be a tooth off. I put 5 timing belts on it though the years (replaced it every time i was in there), and you could not tell if it was correct or 1 tooth off.

This is why you need to hand crank the engine though several full cycles and recheck that all 3 marks line up. Most engines with timing belts require a hand turning to verify the timing is correct on the marks after you install the belt. Some engines are more prone to this issue than other. Subaru boxer engines come to mind... fun belts on those bugers. The SRT4 is a pain to get in there and needs to be checked as well.

The RB is a mild belt install, but you still need to verify that the belt tension was correct and the marks were lined up without slack when installed by re-aligning the marks after rotating it.

Edited by rayaapp2