HybridZ

Advice/Suggestions on places to live on the East Coast?

EvilC

Clive, don't forget about school quality if you're planning on a family. Ann subbed then taught when we lived in NC and we both vowed that our children would definitely be going to private schools. Benefit of NC is our taxes were stupid low-if i remember less than $1k per year. That's less than 1/4 of what we pay now in upstate, NY but...kids attend excellent schools. Think the current taxes are much more affordable than the private school bill would have been. Of course, we have to think about that cost once they graduate [4 years and they'll both be done]. Then NC looks like the real bargain.

Of course here we live without; earthquakes, mudslides, drought, significant flooding and such. What do we have; lots of snow, occasional ice storms, pot-holed roads [too much insensible salting] and such-anyway, you lived here so this info isn't anything new.

dp

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NC would be first on my list... Love that state, if for no other reason, the motorsports support is huge...

Mike

Commute - I hate traffic! Don't mind a driving to work like most people have to do but sitting in traffic is the worst.

Went looking at a place yesterday in northern Jersey. Built in the 50s, .24 acre, 3 small bedrooms...blah blah blah...needs updating. $330k asking price with taxes $8200......needless to say the gf wasn't thrilled. Me, I am thinking that isn't too bad. Cost of living in the tri-state area. Taxes would only increase as improvements are made of course. Hmmmmm.....

Looks like we will be giving first thought to the Raleigh/Durham area in NC if this move is to happen out of the area. Now to look up all the road courses around there, lol.

David family will be in the future so of course we would look at the school systems where we look. Also I am aware that a good school system helps resell a house quick. Like Mike said, motorsports is very important!

Just a quick search on zillow.com makes me laugh at how us young people get suckered into staying in the tri-state! Don't get me wrong, my family is here and everything I need is here. I have been here for 27 years and have connections to get almost anything I need. My dad has been a mechanic here for 30+ years so my list of connections really never end. You pay the price to have everything at your finger tips and I understand why but how much of do it do I need? In the end, the only thing I would miss about NYC are my family and close Z friends.....well maybe the pizza. :D

The more I talk about it, it seems like the right thing to do.....leave.

I swore I would never be house "poor" and if I wanted to be "rich" I would work for myself. I can do without being "rich" but can't be house "poor".

Most times you will never regret the things you do, just the things you don't do.

That is why I will make sure there is a house around the corner for you when you come south! :P

Imagine the garage space we would have and other toys...lol

I've been going through this for the last couple years too. My conclusion was northern VA (VA instead of MD cause my wife wants in-state tuition to Virginia schools when she goes back), but not necessarily NOVA - I've looked at jobs in Alexandria, Arlington, DC, to as far out as Winchester.

But then I stumbled on a job in Savannah, GA and applied on a whim. Coastal GA is VERY cheap compared to NE, NOVA, or California ;) . Still don't know if I would actually go through with it - but weather can't be too much hotter and more humid than NOVA really. Technically, nothing east of the Mississippi is as hot as what I deal with here, but 10% humidity in the summer makes it much more bearable.