HybridZ

Does cutting fenders affect the cars value?

Mr.Roboto

I don't know whether this is the correct section to post in, if not please move. I really like the look of a flared z. but I would like to know if this affects the value of a car. From an appraisors point of view is this a bad/negative thing for an original car with no previous bodywork?

*Usually*, the highest value Zs are going to be ones in mint condition that are as original as possible. Typically speaking, cutting the flares will also cut the value of the car. Of course there is a market for modified Zs (ie, here). So this is a "rule of thumb", not a law. That said, a "clean" original Z will have an easier time fetching more money than a clean modified Z, again, usually (there are always exceptions)

Edited by Sideways

A Japanese car is still a poor investment in the US market, so don't try to predict the future. Build it to enjoy it. If Obama has his way, we'll have to crush all cars that actually work, and we'll be riding around on bicycle rickshaws, burning dung to warm our houses while our hard earned money is wasted on cars that run on electricity generated by burning oil/coal and producing atomic waste. Nobody on this forum is going to judge you for hacking your car into the car of your dreams.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, it will lower the value if the buyer is interested at all in originality. But like mentioned above, depends on the market you are selling it in.

A Japanese car is still a poor investment in the US market, so don't try to predict the future. Build it to enjoy it. If Obama has his way, we'll have to crush all cars that actually work, and we'll be riding around on bicycle rickshaws, burning dung to warm our houses while our hard earned money is wasted on cars that run on electricity generated by burning oil/coal and producing atomic waste. Nobody on this forum is going to judge you for hacking your car into the car of your dreams.

Cars are rarely investments. And old Japanese car is a totally different market then old American cars, and different still from any new car.

You won't see me buying one any time soon, but gasoline powered vehicles use most of the energy making heat. Electric cars use most of the energy moving the car. Nuclear power is the safest (fewest fatalities) per KWh, by far.

If you plan on driving the car at all, modify it for you, not the next buyer. I've never bought a car that I kept "clean" and original for resale. I drive mine in to the ground.

Just keep in mind that once you cut, you can't go back.

That isn't true. You can get replacement quarters and rebuild the inner wells. I don't see why you couldn't. Takes more skill going back to stock than it does to flares, but if you have the dedication then it can be done.

Yeah, the rear arches on my car were rusted out and the previous owner, EvilC, had them replaced. The cut line seems to be about the same height as you cut for flares. Anything is possible with time and skill.

Incidentally, this is the only reason I'm not going ZG right away. They were literally JUST replaced, so I figure I'd better drive it for a while and be absolutely sure I want/need flares.