HybridZ

Factory cruise in an S-30?

I didn't believe it either but look at this ZAP 280 on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Datsun-Z-Series-?cmd=ViewItem&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D4%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D4308769928616642272&_trksid=p5197.m7&item=150702170165

Check out the description and then on the 7th pic look at the turn signal stalk. I realize this is a special edition but still. Maybe a dealer add-on? TonyD, you seem to be master of the obscure Z-car minutiae....any thoughts?

As a side note, that's one hell of a nice Z aside from the automatic.

I didn't ever know of such a thing. On the other hand, is it wrong that I look at that and say "Boy would that be a fun project." I mean, 240z bumpers and make the decal work fit with them. Then just a very clean, done right, turbo swap. Clean up all the wiring and stuff, and megasquirt. No half done crap jobs, and it would be a real awesome car!

You know, I'm one of the few people (apparently) that actually likes the 280 bumpers. Don't know why, they just never bothered me. I agree with you on the megasquirt/turbo. Maybe install the headlight and parking light relay kits and new LED bulbs. Make sure the stereo rocks.....can't think of too much else it needs besides the transmission. I don't need another Z so somebody on here needs to get it :-)

Don't know about "factory", but speaking as a guy who actually installed a few aftermarket cruise controls in the seventies, there were a couple of nice kits that attached very cleanly and professionally to the turn signal stalk and looked and worked like factory units did of that time. Certainly could be one of those.

Looks to me like an 'undisclosed' full dash cap. After looking again it appears the cruse is an aftermarket unit, dealer installed. Like Dan J., I installed a number of these in the early 80's. Look closely and you'll see the cable coming from the area of the left strut tower [but you cannot see the servo-probably mounted on the extended frame rail forward of the strut tower

What is the crease in the dash right between the gauges and glove box?

This thread reminded me that I actually have a Sears aftermarket speed control system, brand new in the box circa 1978. My dad gave it to me back in 1988 when I got my first s30. It's been sitting in the garage ever since. :P

picsay-1321842794.jpg

Edited by rossman

I have a 77 280z that came with a factory cruise control. I say that because my grand father bought the car with it and parked it in a barn for 25 years. I can take pics tonight. its a suction control on the throttle.

No, you don't. You have a Z with a dealer-added cruise control unit. Same as the guy who brought me the 280Z with "factory power steering" ...

Just because it's been on it for a while...or even has a logo on it does NOT mean it was installed inJapan.

Show me the factory parts page supporting your part, and I'll eat it on video posted on YouTube!

Nice photos on the ad, fishing has reached a new level.

And generally the phrase is "factory stock" meaning as the car was produced.

Next level you have is "port additions" which my be things that (for instance) the Nissan Importation SALES AGENT would have added at the port of entry to a particular Market (special turn signals, A/C, sunroofs, mag wheels, almost anything)

Last was"Dealer Additions" which could be virtually anything, including port added accessories that a local sales agent coul obtain cheaper and install locally themselves for more margin.

No LHD 240Z's came with "Stock" A/C. But on a 260 or 280Z you could have "Factory" Air, or Port added air that was the same unit, OR NOT. at the same time you could have "Dealer" added air which could be the same unit as Factory Air, OR NOT. in all cases a sunroof was either Port or Dealer additions, none was "Factory" or "Stock", they were all AFTERMARKET additions.

Which goes to Nissan North America NOT being " The Factory " they were a sales company. The cars were sold to NNA, and they then did what they did, and from an OEM standpoint they were all AFTERMARKET accessories without any warranty liability to Nissan Japan (with the notable exception of the port added A/C units which were Nissan Japan approved and had install instructions in the FSM!