HybridZ

260z to 280zx alternator conversion

I am trying to convert my early 260z over to the 280zx alternator. I have found write-ups for the 240z and the 280z but have yet to come across a definitive write-up for the 260z!

I need to finish this conversion asap because I have work in the morning!

If anyone could lead me in the right direction with this I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks

Your going to have to use the 240z write up as a reference, Early 260z's wiring is similar to the 240z. Late model 260z wiring is similar to 280z wiring. Write down which colored wires are on the back of your alternator. Use the write up description to help you figure out the wires to jumper or directly wire into your harness. Decide if your going to wire the car permanantely for the zx alternator or use the jumper plug off your voltage regulator connector, incase you want to switch it back to the older alternator. Figure out which wires you jumper or wire directly into your harness. Don't forget to add the Diode, so your engine will turn off when you turn the key off. Thats it.

I think i should add the write up for the 260z(late model) since i just did the swap B) . I have a late model 260z. but if you tell me the color of the wires coming from your external voltage regulator to the harness, I can maybe help you out. It is really as simple as dexter said once you figure out which color wires get spliced into each other.

Instead of connecting colored wires, you might connect the wires by function.

The L (Lamp) terminal on the back of the ZX alternator connects to the Charge Lamp wire from your 260Z harness. The S (Sense) terminal connects to the battery positive or the starter lug (which is also connected to battery positive). One of the wires to the regulaor will be always hot, that would be the one. It needs to be connected away from the back of the alternator (you could just jump the S terminal directly over to the B terminal) so that the regulator is seeing the voltage after all of the loads on the system for smoother regulation (that's my understanding, could be wrong). You can also just run a new wire from the S terminal to the starter lug.

The B (Battery) terminal connects to the battery positive also through the thick white wire. That one would be unchanged from what you have. And it's probably a good idea to run a ground wire from the E (Earth) terminal to the block or the car body to be sure of good ground.

The wiring diagram for your car will show you which wire is the Charge Lamp wire. The others can all be figured out by looking and with a voltmeter, or also by the diagram. Cover up the remaining wires, some of them are switched positive and some are always hot. The L terminal on the ZX alternator is the vertical part of the T plug, the S is the cross bar.

• 1 month later...

I am also trying to do a 280zxt alternator swap in early 260z. Interlock is disabled by PO owner or never came with it but it has a lot of relays and I'm trying get rid of them and have a electric pump to turn on when ignition switch is turned. I know it's a safety feature. I am lost, I hate wiring!