HybridZ

Aftermarket Harmonic Dampner

steve260z

I bought the Powerforce Dampner from MSA. It states the following:

Special Note:

For 240Z & 260Z, since they have non-adjustable timing pointers, the timing markings on this pulley will be shifted. You will need to match and note the relation of the pulley marks to your original pulley when you remove it.

Do the 280z and or ZX have the timing marks on the left side of the front cover?

Or just the ZX? The front cover I'm using is from a 280...

pic here.

Also, it is very tight. Normal to use a rubber mallet to fully seat?

I'm measuring just .003" larger than the crank.

post-8997-033660700 1322431385_thumb.jpg

Edited by steve260z

I had a learning experience getting mine on. I believe I got one of their first runs, so maybe their nominal size is better now.

Here is the thread: http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/57510-powerforce-harmonic-damper-install/page__st__20

The timing bracket on a '82 ZXT is on the left side of the front cover.

In order to minimize the parallax error in setting the base timing, I made an extension to the TDC mark (after verifying the crank is at TDC):

motor_4.jpg

Maybe this is due to the large diameter pulley for the AC / PS.

I used a large bolt and washer to press it on.

Hope this helps!

-Hugh

Remember the instructions in "How to Modify" ... A loose fit is NOT what you want. Zero clearance is a slip-fit, any interference would be due to angled installation and binding. The closer the fit, the more important it is to get it started straight or there can be binding, burring, or otherwise gouging on the crank snout which will cause problems.

• 3 weeks later...

I purchased the same pulley from MSA. I had to send it back.

It was machined .034 smaller than my L28 crankshaft. No way that was

going to fit with a little polishing. I was told they are made to

fit tight like that. .034 ???? right. So now what do I do? BHJ damper?

I had a learning experience getting mine on. I believe I got one of their first runs, so maybe their nominal size is better now.

Here is the thread: http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/57510-powerforce-harmonic-damper-install/page__st__20

The timing bracket on a '82 ZXT is on the left side of the front cover.

In order to minimize the parallax error in setting the base timing, I made an extension to the TDC mark (after verifying the crank is at TDC):

motor_4.jpg

Maybe this is due to the large diameter pulley for the AC / PS.

I used a large bolt and washer to press it on.

Hope this helps!

-Hugh

This does help.

I just installed my damper last night. I heated it up with a low temperature oven (200F), and installed without too much trouble with the engine about 40 degrees F. Had to mark the keyway on the outside of the damper flange so I could line it up. Then once tapped over the keyway, I used the crank bolt to snug it on the rest of the way.

The old timing pointer on the left side is useless now, not to mention too far away. I have a timing pointer similar to yours above, but it will not fit on my timing cover. The hole spacing is wrong. How many different pointers are there? I'd like to use a factory pointer, but maybe I'll have to settle for just the wire pointer.....

It never fails if there is a bad one made, I get that one.

MSA said they are made undersize and are machined to fit by owner. They

did not offer to send me a different one.

The instructions do not say that at all by the way. Nor do they

give the clearance to machine it to.

So what MSA says is a crock.

Whomever you talked to at MSA is feeding you a line of ignorant bullshite. This is SUPPOSED to be a 'bolt on' part. NO MACHINING REQUIRED.

If you call the people they buy the pulley assembly from, they will say as much as well (been there, done that!)

Where are you in Wisconsin? I have a VERY tight schedule...but... I'm going to PM you something. Take the time to read it! Maybe I can help.

Whomever you talked to at MSA is feeding you a line of ignorant bullshite. This is SUPPOSED to be a 'bolt on' part. NO MACHINING REQUIRED.

If you call the people they buy the pulley assembly from, they will say as much as well (been there, done that!)

Where are you in Wisconsin? I have a VERY tight schedule...but... I'm going to PM you something. Take the time to read it! Maybe I can help.

Thanks Tony. I will check messages.