HybridZ

L28 Rebuild + 4 Speed -> 5 Speed Conversion

2JZ260z

Hello fellow Hybrid-Z guys and girls,

Recently my girlfriend, who is now a Z addict, ran into a little complication. What she thought to be a faulty oil pressure gauge, turned out to be no oil in the car (go figure), and you know the rest.

I recently sourced another engine to replace the broken one and plan to use its block with the head that was on the car previously (assuming it is not shot). In the deal, I also received two 5-speed transmissions and figured, why not swap to a 5-speed from a 4-speed for better fuel economy and driving all together. One is missing a pin of some sort that makes the car shift (according to the seller), and a second one is in decent shape with a broken fifth gear. Apparently I can take the 5th gear and pin from tranny 2, and slap it on tranny 1 and have a nice 5-speed in her car finally.

My question is this:

As a pretty smart guy, I'm not quite sure where to start and have never taken a transmission apart (or rebuilt one for that matter). I'm confident I can do this, but what I'm stuck on is what I need to get the job done. Not only as far as disassembling one and reassembling a finshed one, but what all do I need? I read that while I'm in it, I should refresh the bearings and synchros, but what else should I get for it? Also, where can I find these parts new (or sort of new)? Also any PDF's of the layout would be AWESOME. I did a little searching on google, and on here, but couldn't find anything (possibly because I was using my cell phone?) Help me Hybrid-Z-Kenobi, you're my only hope!

As a little P.S. I'm also thinkin' about getting a 280zx turbo setup and slapping it on there when all is said and done :3 This should be fun! Thank you all in advance for PM's and advice; it is much appreciated.

paigeszzzzz.jpg

Better make sure that the 5 speeds are identical before you start slapping parts around. There are several different types of 5 speeds out there, and I don't think that the gears are easily interchangeable. I haven't found a thread yet that described a successful gear swap, although that doesn't mean it hasn't been done. I'm interested in how things turn out for you.

You'll spend $200 just on the new synchros alone. Bearings and gaskets another $150. The cheapest full rebuild kit I've seen is around $350. The FSMs all have instructions for tear down and rebuild, after you figure out what transmissions you have.

Im pretty sure the guy said they were both the same, but I'll look at them to make sure before I start "slapping parts around". I'll have to DL or buy a FSM then. I may actually have one. Turns out I couldn't go to my buddies shop yesterday (Where the trannies are) because no one was there, so I'll have to get more soon. Stand by!

NewZed - those prices you got are mighty high. I paid around $100 for a FULL rebuild kit - bearings, synchros and all for my last rebuild.

And to the OP - 2JZ260 - look at where the shifter attaches to both tranny's on the tailshaft housing. There will be very distinct differences as to how tall the "ears" on the shifter brackets are. There's a tall one and a short one. It should be easy to tell if the two boxes are of the same type.

NewZed - those prices you got are mighty high. I paid around $100 for a FULL rebuild kit - bearings, synchros and all for my last rebuild.

And to the OP - 2JZ260 - look at where the shifter attaches to both tranny's on the tailshaft housing. There will be very distinct differences as to how tall the "ears" on the shifter brackets are. There's a tall one and a short one. It should be easy to tell if the two boxes are of the same type.

They're from the internet, that's the best I've found for the Z and ZX 5 speeds. Synchros alone seem to be $50 per piece everywhere. Thanks for the name, how is the quality, how did the rebuild turn out? I've also seen varying opinions on the synchro gear quality. Thanks.

The two trannies I did (that just sounds wrong in and of itself!) turned out good. All things considered. The one "good" trans is in my 280 behind a stroker motor and doesn't miss a lick - no grinds at all - and the bearings are all Nachi bearings. The other one had a bent shifter fork and still grinds a little bit from 2nd to 3rd under heavily loaded shifting , but is a LOT quieter than it was and is serving its' time behind a 83 Maxima turbo in my buddy's girlfriends car. I can't complain.....nor does she.

It came with pretty much just bearings and synchros. I only have a "C" box rebuild kit here - else I'd give you the bearing #'s - BUT the kit is the SAME for 70-89 (yes the 300 tranny is listed as the same as a 280 - parts wise) - and they have the # on the kit - so they will get you what you need. These guys are a bunch of "Southern afficionados" (rednecks) - but they get their stuff right every time. Not had a problem - at least I haven't heard any problems from the guy that builds my trannys......and we've been through about 4 now.....