HybridZ

1971 series 1 240z

I saw this series 1 in Kansas and had to have it. I was trying to buy a 280 but it seemed everyone I went to buy had just sold the day before. I recently bought a 73 240z l28et and since then I have been wanting another one for an n/a car. There was a 280 in santone I missed by 1 day that was beautful. Then there was a 280 in plano I missed. When I saw this series 1 in kansas my head clicked and I was GONE! A high comp triple carb series 1 240 sounded better than the same in a 280 anyways. I plan on completely ripping the car down and rebuilding it over the next 5-6 years. I drove it back from Kansas and the car runs awesome. Carbs need a little adjust but I was cruising at speeds up to 70 mph and it was just as smooth as could be. Pipes sound good although I think there a little bit much. The car is all original minus the pipes and the 10 gal fuel cell. I have the original tank but its rusted and has pin holes. I like the fuel cell cause it only costs 30 dollars to fill it up with premium. I was getting about 200-220 miles off 7 gallons of gas (I didn't let it get too low). I figured I was probably getting about 23-24 mpg on the highway which is awesome to me. Im used to my big green truck filling up costs 80 dollars and I get like 14-15mpg in town and maybe 20 on the highway if im lucky. The price was right on the car and im excited to start on it. Im probably gonna drive it around for a few months and work out some bugs. By then my other 240 should be tuned up and ready to play and ill start ripping it down. I should be taking pics of my truck and posting even though its not a z. I have a 99 chevy silverado bought new in winter of 98 with 0 miles. Now it has 293k on the original 5.3 motor and still runs like new. Its been all over the united states and recently at 290k hauled a 8k pound load with my 73 240 and all the parts and extras that came with it. Pulling up some of the hills my rpm would bury itself into the 6k needle and scream like a banshee. I am not really a fan of one company or the other between dodge ford and chevy but this truck has proven itself to me more than I can count. Anyways ya im excited I have 2 z cars, now I just need to build a big shop to store everything. My house is ridiculous right now. Theres motors in the kitchen and a spare bedroom completely full of fenders doors glass rear hatch and boxes of s30 parts. I need to start selling all this stuff.

-Pat

post-25618-003808900 1326049576_thumb.jpg

post-25618-080815200 1326049612_thumb.jpg

post-25618-016658400 1326049673_thumb.jpg

post-25618-017593400 1326049736_thumb.jpg

I keep taking pics of stuff and checking everything out on the car. I think someone did a partial resto on this car 10-15 years ago. It could be the original headliner but it sure is pretty. The seats have been recovered as well and already show signs of wear. Floor is solid although the PO said he did something with that. Ill probably have to cut out what he did and replace the floor pans. Most of everything is just surface rust cause im pretty sure it stayed sitting outside for 5-6 years. Guy I got it from has a huge shop with like 5 z's in it. Mine was sitting right next to a blown 350 260z. The guy seemed knowledgeable about Z's but he never told me it was a series 1. He just told me the older z's had a few different things that the newer 240's didn't. Don't know if he knew or not.

First thing I gotta do is buy an ebay radiator the original one has a hole in it. Its not bad but still makes you smell coolant every once in awhile. Also need a hood, I think I want to get a 280 one with vents or just get one louvered.

More pics!

post-25618-043713700 1326058818_thumb.jpg

post-25618-013410000 1326058863_thumb.jpg

post-25618-043778400 1326058886_thumb.jpg

post-25618-055567400 1326058914_thumb.jpg

post-25618-031660000 1326058949_thumb.jpg

post-25618-071476000 1326058987_thumb.jpg

post-25618-019904800 1326059003_thumb.jpg

Look into an MSA or AZC radiator, they're not that much more than an ebay one, and are most likely a lot better. I plan to get the AZC one for my '73. Whats up with that thing bolted to the center console on the driver's side? Power mirrors?

Look into an MSA or AZC radiator, they're not that much more than an ebay one, and are most likely a lot better. I plan to get the AZC one for my '73. Whats up with that thing bolted to the center console on the driver's side? Power mirrors?

That's for A/C controls. I've got one too...just no A/C for it to control :(

Oh I see haha. Never seen that piece before. Haha I hate a/c systems, I never use the damn things.

I plan on taking the heater and a/c all out. None of my vehicles have a/c I just roll the windows down, and I really don't need a heater. I plan on putting heated seats in the series 1 its gonna be my daily driver when its done.

-Pat

I plan on taking the heater and a/c all out. None of my vehicles have a/c I just roll the windows down, and I really don't need a heater. I plan on putting heated seats in the series 1 its gonna be my daily driver when its done.

-Pat

I had the same thought (about the heater) on mine since it's not working anyway, but there have been a couple times when it would have been nice to have just to defrost the windshield. Also, there have been a couple times that the temp dropped quite a bit after dark and I wish I had it.

As for the radiator, I picked up the MSA unit along with the electric fan kit and shroud...if you're going to swap out the radiator, I'd highly recommend this at the same time. Made an enormous difference in cooling, plus got rid of all the extra rotational mass of the fan on the front of the motor.