HybridZ

My new two wheels whip...

Mikelly

So I found that I'm not a true hardcore sport touring guy. The FJR I had was great at gobbling up miles. Totally uninspired miles, but miles. The longer wheel base really didn't allow me to have the fun I prefer to have when on two wheels... So today I traded it in on this:

7862e9e2.jpg

624efa03.jpg

31d20664.jpg

b90073cc.jpg

Already working on those new tires...

a0af972f.jpg

This bike is really a comfortable bike to ride because of the location of the footpegs and the higher bar location. They make hard bags for it that I'll get over the next 45 days.

So far, I'm liking it a lot!

Mike

Ninja 1000? That is a good day or couple day trip bike that can also be fast at VIR (hint, hint). A lot more comfortable then it looks. I've been riding my Z750S for about a year and love it. Did a track day at Cal Speedway and the bike performed flawlessly, even saved me from my own stupidity a couple times. We're going on a ride through Death Valley for a couple days the first of March.

John, I got that itch on track with my old Kawi back in 2002-2003 timeframe...I loved that green ZX9R so much and regreted selling it. That was a chief decision to sell the FJR and find something more "sporty". Glad Kawi made this bike...

MikeOntrack.jpg

LeadngtheGroup.jpg

Here's a nice youtube clip of the new bike both one up and two up with luggage on about half way thru... You can see the relaxed ergos...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP-NFKua0EU

This bike has the best mirrors I've ever had on a motorcycle... 29 years of crappy mirrors is why I mention this. Also, the stand over height is decent. I'm 5'9" and have about a 30 inch inseam. I can almost flat foot this bike. Shorter wheel base and those tires make for lots of grip and confidence, even new and in the wet it didn't wiggle. Power on was very predictable. Once I get some break in miles on it, I'll see how it rotates and slides thru corners. On my ZRX1100 I had no problems with getting the rear light enough to slide thru corners. Not sure this bike will be any less neutral in handling.

Also, I've already ordered the SW MOTEC soft bag rail system for this bike, as it is easier to remove when not in use...

And I plan to get a trunk to go along with that for now. I plan to buy the hardbag system from Kawasaki or thru Givi (Kawi rebrands the V35) and I'll buy heated grips and a 12V plug kit or two. Beyond that, I'm just going to ride it for a while and enjoy having a more sporty bike again! The FJR was a nice commutor, but totally uninspiring to just "ride" for enjoyment. I loved the conveniences of the bags and the heated grips, the glove box and the comfy soft suspension. But it was such a pig and so heavy to try to push thru the twisties. I'd honestly have gotten to the point of selling it sooner, had I not crashed it Nov. 2010. That crash forced me to re-evaluate my riding, the bike, and myself. Took 18 months to decide that it wasn't so much me, but the bike and me... We just did not have a happy marriage.

Hopefully this new fling will blossom into full love and I'll keep this ride for a long time.

Mike

Edited by Mikelly

As you get older you realize that its the ergononmics of the bike that is more important than what it looks like.I have a 2002 yamaha fz1 that is a great bike.But after renting a bmw r1200gs for 2 days and test riding a ktm 990 adventure I am looking for a more upright riding position.Part of the problem is leg length.I wear 34" long pants and my legs feel like they are too cramped on any japanese motorcycles.Someitmes I dont get around to riding the fz1 for a couple of weeks and I am always surprised by the performance when I get off the bike.But i cant ride more than 200 miles a day on it.

Nice bike. I hear you on the ergo issue too. I loved the somewhat upright position on my SV650 (which I bought because of suggestions from members here by the way). Then I did a GSXR front end swap and all that went out the window :rolleyes:

IMG_3430.JPG

I would love to do a trackday this season. I still need a proper pair of armored pants though.

I installed the SWMotec Blaze bag system this past week, along with a set of Oxford HeaterZ grips... Bike only needs some sunshine so I can put some miles on her... Unfortunately it snowed last night and we have freezing rain this morning...

SW Motec bags ran $280 and are very cool... No hardware visible when you don't want the bags on the bike...

d35ed3bf.jpg

addcae5c.jpg

9b419027.jpg

e8b165a9.jpg

And the grips were only $80 thru TwistedThrottle.com:

45c26a57.jpg

0ab5299e.jpg

Mike

Edited by Mikelly

I picked up a used givi rack (sides and top) and a givi economy 41 L case a while ago. It holds a ton of stuff, and I haven't even installed the side racks (no luggage for those, it's expensive), but I paid $150 shipped for the whole setup + $140 for molded piece of plastic.

294538_10150266901038295_650983294_7828950_6231004_n.jpg

I agree, but it's very pricey stuff. The rear rack by itself new for my bike costs $160, and side racks are another $180. I scored a heck of a deal. Although, engineering and build quality of the rack is worth it, the luggage costs are not. For example, a pair of givi v35 side cases run $550 new. IMO, that's a rip off:

Btw, nice score on the bike... are you replacing the exhaust or keeping this one?

The OEM bags are re-branded V35s. The dealer wants $1000 for the bags and the hardware... Yea, I'll probably not get them from the dealer... Ugh... I'll probably have the ECU remapped and do either an Akropovic. What I'm finding is that there's a bunch of stuff available for the Z1000 but not for the N1K... Go figure... And I got to test out the heated grips today on a little 1 hour ride... They work very well and i was able to get by with just my summer gloves and the controller set to 40% heat. Was nice being "warm!"

Mike