HybridZ

Engine assembly questions - rear main cap seals and

inline6

I ordered rear main cap seals (the strips) from Nissan and they didn't come with any pins or "nails". Anyone ever seen that before? Do I use them as is? The How to Rebuild or the How to Modify book, one or the other, seems to indicate that they are not always utilized - that you can get some that don't have them.

Also, on the Kameari timing chain idler, do you still run one (the straight one)of the chain guides - just not the curved one?

My rear main came with the 'nails'. That being said one of them didn't seat flush with the surface and now I have an ever-so-slight leak. Not sure if you would have to have them or not, but I have a few gasket sets laying around and they all seemed to have them.

I also have the kameari idler and I used the straight chain guide. Seems to be working fine after about 700 miles.

My rear main came with the 'nails'. That being said one of them didn't seat flush with the surface and now I have an ever-so-slight leak. Not sure if you would have to have them or not, but I have a few gasket sets laying around and they all seemed to have them.

Are any of yours OEM Nissan? I came across a thread in a forum where someone said the OEM ones don't have pins.

My rear main came with the 'nails'. That being said one of them didn't seat flush with the surface and now I have anun ever-so-slight leak. Not sure if you would have to have them or not, but I have a few gasket sets laying around and they all seemed to have them.

I also have the kameari idler and I used the straight chain guide. Seems to be working fine after about 700 miles.

If you cutthe strips down flush with the cap it won't leak. The pins are only ther for tension. They can be reused.

Squirt some sealant into the slots that the seals go into, then tap them in. You can use a small punch and a small hammer, even a plastic mallet, to tap them in. I never got mine completely in but they were pretty close. Cut any nubs off with a pair of wire cutters.

I use some seals coming from MSA for my rebuild, it was quite difficult to make them slip into the cavity. I tried to reuse the pin from the previous seal, it was impossible to fit - it was too tight.

So I think you would be good without.

I also had a set of Felpro units (I did not know they were coming inside gasket kit...), they come with flat pins as wide aas the seal.

• 7 months later...

I use some seals coming from MSA for my rebuild, it was quite difficult to make them slip into the cavity. I tried to reuse the pin from the previous seal, it was impossible to fit - it was too tight.

So I think you would be good without.

I also had a set of Felpro units (I did not know they were coming inside gasket kit...), they come with flat pins as wide aas the seal.

Can anyone state exactly how to install these side seals and the 2 flat pin? Is it as follows:

1. Install rear main cap with some RTV sealant on the ends and torque.

2. Install the two rubber selas on each end of rear main cap with wiper ends facing out.

3. Then drive in the 2 flat pins behind the rubber seals on the cap side (one on each side). This is the step I'm certain about. Does the pin get inserted between the seal and the cap or between the block and the seal? Thanks.

Ken

All ears on this converstaion-I have had repeated issues will oil leaks from these seals. I thought the Nissan one had the steel pins enbedded within the rubber(one piece unit).

I also thought the aftermarket ones the pin was wrapped with the rubber, but was two different pieces.

Either way, I got it wrong , because mine leaks

check out this

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/thread37250.html