HybridZ

ID this wing?

Bought this wing the other day, guy said he pulled it off a 260z. the only markings on it are the words 'Turbo Tail' on the drivers side on the top. Its not fiberglass, feels like a porous spongyish urethane material.

Planning on restoring it a little and mounting it. Just wondering if anyone knows what it is or who made it. It'd be cool if it was rare.

Some mock up pics.

Yay or nay? I'm not one for whale tails but I'm actually really digging this.

6c8749ef.jpg

02a5f06b.jpg

ed34b07f.jpg

Edited by ComicArtist

Seems I recall the "Turbo Tail" was marketed through a brochure company like PB Tweeks at one time. Its a polyurethane molded one piece part with no finish aside from its black injection dye.

Its a knock-off version of the popular Porsche rear wing/tail.

You could lightly sand and prime/paint with flex additive to make it age and look better. But it would need to be handled with care so as not to flex too much and crack.;)

Oh ok cool. The guy I got it from didn't know where it came from either, and couldn't find anything on it online. Only whale tail I could find was the fiberglass MSA wing.

Idk if I'll rock it or not, I've never really been one for whale tails.

Wash it good and in the sun look it over closely-(top to bottom) and I'll bet you'll find some denotations embossed from its maker like maybe ...Foha or Eberhart or someone like this.

• 5 months later...

Those whale tails do bad things at high speeds. The car gets light at high speeds without one, but it actually creates more front lift. I also saw one where the tail actually bent and nearly ripped the rear hatch off the car. That much drag also won't help with fuel mileage. Just my 2 cents.

It's not a ZX-R wing. Whatever brand this wing is it was made specifically for the s30 chassis. The s130 rear hatch is wider so it wouldn't even look good. And yes the ZX-R wing did not have the grooves.

WP_000081.jpg

Also Savage I don't know what you're talking about. I drove cross country two times with this wing on and I hit a max of 125ish with no ill effects. Maybe on a completely stock ZX. My car was more dropped in the front and I did have a Gnose on. Jmortensen is right stating that's probably because of all the downforce in the front.

Edited by BluDestiny