HybridZ

LS with velocity stacks

I may get a lot of ribbing for this, because I will admit it is pretty cheesy. I have always wanted a V8 with down-draft webers and velocity stacks, but my dad taught me to always run air filter (s) on my car. Well, my LS swap allowed me to have both. I made a cold air intake pretty much the same way everybody does to actually provide filtered and metered air to my motor. Then, I made a bracket out of stainless sheet that bolts to my factory fuel rail. I bought 2 sets of 4, 4" velocity stacks off ebay for $85 per set of 4 stacks and bolted it all together. Clears cowl-induction hood by about 1/4" and you can see them from the driver seat through the cowl-induction opening. Enjoy the pictures, feel free to copy. My buddy who helped me with the sheetmetal bending brake calls it "man art." Coil covers are Holley brand - I am very happy with them. OK to ask questions or tease me.

post-5903-040717000 1334551316_thumb.jpg

post-5903-082175000 1334551330_thumb.jpg

post-5903-006361000 1334551350_thumb.jpg

post-5903-001970500 1334551382_thumb.jpg

post-5903-057398300 1334551405_thumb.jpg

post-5903-046059100 1334551419_thumb.jpg

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had the joy of trying to keep a car running with only 3 carbs. No way I am going back to that way if life.

I'd love to have a quad-Weber V8 underhood! My triples haven't given me much trouble, I haven't really touched them for over a year.

What I didn't explain is that this induction system actually represents the latest in green technology. If you look closely you will see that there are no fuel lines. That would suggest that the engine runs only on air. It is actually a flex fuel motor and can be configured to run on anti-matter. It also has displacement on demand: of you run it on the original EFI only, you get 8 cylinders; if you run it only on the anti-matter system you get zero cylinders. The Obama administration has already contacted me for rights to the patented technology. You guys need to get with the program. You are so 2012.

I've been surprised that more dress-up stuff isn't available for the LS motors-they really are the "new small block." There are lots of different "fuel rail covers" from a variety from the factory to carbon fiber, etc. This is basically a fuel rail cover, just like the ones the factory puts on lots of production cars. It just has an old-school twist. In the future, I will be looking at a way to eliminate any coverage of the pretty curves of the factory intake manifold (I think it is kind of pretty) even though it is plastic. I went simple this time. Maybe I can use the tabs on the fuel rail like I have, but also use the bolts that hold the fuel rail to the intake (there just isn't' much hardware up there to bolt to). There are also very few options for coil covers, the Holleys just seemed to be the most simple. I haven't taken it to any shows since making the stacks up. I may try this Saturday night and see what type of giggles I get. With all the ratrod stuff out there, I think folks are a little more forgiving these days of using some poetic license with this sort of thing. I already know that I am likely the fastest car at just about any show I attend, but a Japanese car never gets the street cred that a deuce gets. I used to want one of those, but they just don't drive as well as a Z-car. That is why I hang with the kit car / replica group - they understand the art of deception. Plus they are old farts like me. You guys in California probably have more experience with fake boobs than I do: I like the looks, but have never had the pleasure. Are they for looks or performance?

I didn't have to cut the hood. This doesn't happen very often, but I got just the right size on the first try. They clear the cowl induction style hood by about 3/8", yet I can see them thru the cowl induction hole when I'm driving and I can rev the motor and see the motor torque a little on the poly mounts.

And really, what is function? Does a z-car really USE 10" wide wheels? For most of us, does an airdam really do anything? And what about paint?-Comic Artist seems to be doing just fine without any. Just rambling now trying to justify my tomfoolery. I really didn't expect anything positive - I am doing better than expected.

Edited by RebekahsZ

Six_shooter: you are tha man! I really appreciate the link. $1400 for one of their units, hmmm, I wonder how many they sell and at what profit margin. You are putting ideas into my head for an early retirement plan. Your blazer looks great as of your last post-how is your z coming along?

Guys, when I'm working on the car, I finally have a place to store a pencil, screwdriver, 12mm wrench, a ratchet or any other handtool. I might even be able to put a little oil down in them and some kernals to make popcorn. Does that qualify as functional?

post-5903-044927700 1334642404_thumb.jpg

Edited by RebekahsZ