HybridZ

Was running fine, now it wont start.

GarageRatt13

Ok so i was on my way home from work in my 240Z and it was running fine but for no apparent reason it started to sputter and run crappy. I limped it for a few miles while it was running really crappy but then it started backfiring when i shifted and losing power and wouldn't gain any power no matter how much throttle i gave it. After a while I pulled over and I couldn't get it fired back up. Its the stock 2.4, I was thinking maybe I got some bad gas? I filled her up yesterday at shell with 93. What do you guys think? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

What were you running before? With my friends car we got it running again after sitting for 5+ years with about 5 gallons of 87. After we got it for the most part running reliably, he threw in some 101 octane to balance it out and "clean out" the lines and tank. Well it worked too good and gunked everything up and caused many headaches.

Well drove it again today and it was running fine for a while and then it started running like crap again and then died on me. And if it was vapor lock wouldn't it happen all the time? I'm thinking its defiantly has something to do with the fuel system but i'm not sure what part. Do you think the a bad fuel pump could do this? I would much rather fix this myself but its getting to the point were I might bring it to a shop.

it could be also a clogged fuel line. I got some debries once in my tank clogging the fuel line just at the entrance of the pipe inside the tank. I had to blow air from outisde to get the stuffs out of the way.

To fix it - I knew what was my issue - I removed the tank and clean it for good with water, detergent and a piece of chain inside the tank to "scrap" it inside...

you should be able to see debris in your filter and tank would not be cleaned.

If that's the case, once the tank would be almost empty, maybe you could try to remove the drain plug and and fluch your tank.

Could it also be the ignition not working properly because of heat? unlikely but we never know...

Edited by Lazeum

it could be something in your tank blocking the lines and falling down back into the tank while pump is not active anymore.

I agree with you however regarding the full line being really clogged, it would remain clogged as long as you don't fix it. so it migtht not be the case for you.

Well I went to go replace my pump and filter today and i found a good amount of rust sitting in the bottom of my filter :(. Looks like im going to be ripping out my tank and cleaning it and blowing out my fuel lines. Not to happy about this cause I just put about 30 bucks worth of 93 in it!!!

You're good for a good overhaul process of your tank. It's a bad news but on the other hand, you've most likely found the root cause of your problem which is a very good point :)

Next move is radiator shop or diy restoration process with product such as por15 solution.

Edited by Lazeum