HybridZ

Fuel Tank setups

Don't think he'll have any specs or blueprints for it. I know the company that made it will have them as thats what they will be using for mine but I can't see them giving them to anyone as it wouldn't be in their interests to do so.

I asked, he doesn't have them.

The company that made it got the dimensions from a stock fuel tank and the rest of the specification is up to the customer. If you can find a similar company in the USA then all you'd need to do is have a stock tank available for them to take measurements from.

I believe someone in the USA already did this. I recall them having a post about not wanting to go fuel cell for one reason or another. The company was in or close to Florida which is why it peaked my interest. The cost was around $650-700, but he said a lot of that was actually design and it may be a bit cheaper if we order again using the same design.

Bam: http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/96955-a-%E2%80%9Cstock%E2%80%9D-fuel-tank-solution/

Edited by BluDestiny

When I saw the picture of custom tank from OP I thought of that thread blu. The one thing I like about the tank posted by OP is the rearward slant that kind of conforms to the rear valance. I think 600 bucks for either tank is money well spent if you aren't doing any racing that requires a cell.

• 1 year later...

Well, I got my tank made so I thought I'd update this.

P1010066.jpg

My custom built Alloy Fuel Tank, built for me by Pro Alloy. Fits in the same as the original, I have it setup for use with carbs while I'm still running carbs but its also setup for a fuel injection setup and should be good to flow enouth for a 600HP turbo setup. Its got a proper intenal collector, baffles and is also filed with tank foam so I won't need to run an external surge tank. Its got a DeatschWerks DW300 fuel pump installed which can flow more fuel than I'll ever need.

P1010073.jpg

P1010076.jpg

P1010077.jpg

P1010078.jpg

P1010090.jpg

P1010079.jpg

P1010085.jpg

How much did you pay for that tank? Thats a work of art.

It is beautiful isn't it, almost a shame to put in under the car.  Its not cheap, if you include the tank, fuel pump, new dip type sender and new fuel guage it cost over £1000 GBP. But you do get what you pay for and the quality and workmanship on this is perfect as is the internal collector setup.

Have you bolted it up yet? How does it fit? 240z, 260z or 280z?

Its not bolted up yet, but I have offered it up and it fits perfectly, only reason I didn't fit it is because I'm getting stainless tank straps made up. Its made for a 260Z, but as its for a late 78 260Z (UK Model) its probably the same as a 280Z tank.

I would actually almost be willing to spend that much to have a stock looking tank with the properties of a fuel cell. Or I might just cut out my perfectly good wheel well and have a cell put it, but another user recommended I get an F body fuel tank.

Decisions decisions.

Is it steel or aluminium? What kind of baffles does it have?

I'm very tempted to make my own tank, probably SS since it's easier to weld, and have it fit like stock but with small sump.

Read my Post

Its Aluminium. If fully baffled, its got baffles in a few places and tank foam which is a very good baffle, its also got an internal collector which uses special one way valves to scoop up the fuel and keep it in the collector, it is possible to run these tanks alomost empty without fuel starvation/

I would actually almost be willing to spend that much to have a stock looking tank with the properties of a fuel cell. Or I might just cut out my perfectly good wheel well and have a cell put it, but another user recommended I get an F body fuel tank.

Decisions decisions.

I like it because you don't have to cut up your car to fit it, it looks close to stock (probably better than stock) when fitted, I can fill it from the original fuel filler, none of this having to fill it through the boot. Plus its got the best collector/baffle system available.