HybridZ

Torque-ing Ring Gear bolts-R200

RebekahsZ

How am I to torque the ring gear bolts on an R200? I can't seem to restrain the carrier in order to torque the bolts. I tried putting an axle stub in a vise and putting the LSD carrier on it, but it still turns anyway. It took some major impact wrench work to get the bolts loose - I had to heat a few of them-they must have been lock-tighted. I shattered one socket. I also need the torque wrench setting - or should I just hammer away for a while with my impact wrench and call that good?

Edited by RebekahsZ

If I use an impact wrench, I think I can just let the carrier sit on my work bench unrestrained. Just ordered some shim stock from McMaster-carr so I can put it all back together next weekend.

Ooooh oooohhh!!!! Can you post the link to the shims you got from mcmaster? I had to go to a diff shop to find mine. The dealership looked at me like a tard when I tried them. Thank you!!!!

Unless you have some torque limiting device on the impact, stay away. Even the, you can warp the carrier because of uneven torquing of the ring gear. Use the vise to retain the carrier, and use the torque wrench to EVENLY apply force around the ring gear. Do it in stages. Slip the gear on if it's not already and snug a bolt. Continue adding bolts and just snugging them. Then up the torque to 30# or so, then 60#, and then max.

Does anybody know the proper torque?????? I understand the concept of torquing something. Sorry guys I've been fighting the c-clip on the Z31 axle for 3 hours and I still don't have an axle assembled. This job is miserable a b i t c h.

Edited by RebekahsZ

The different ring gear fasteners have a different torque spec.

You have the little or big ones?

I recall it was something like 85 ish on my little bolt r200. I think the 12mm ones are quite a lot more.

I wouldn't go over. My 10mm bolts felt piqued at the torque spec limit.

For bolt torque, go on the web and look for charts with appropriate torque vs. bolt specs. That's what I'm doing while putting new bolts on my Z. I don't even rely on the service manual which contains some mistakes (front ball joint bolts or cam sproket bolt for instance)

All of you are right. JMortensen gave me the correct torque spec in a PM. Now I gotta find a bigger vise. I have lots of vices, but only a medium sized vise!

43-51 for 10mm bolts, and 65-72 for 12 mm bolts.

Locktite on the bolts that hold the carrier into the case??

I'm gonna do a thread on the R180 to R200 CLSD conversion to include CV axles and extra CLSD clutches (and shims) after I am done with it. Hopefully that will put all the info I'm learning into one thread that others can access. I think I've made every mistake in the book. Thank goodness for this forum.

Edited by RebekahsZ

super sweet! The video - not you, although you are very kind.

Dude - I just watched that. I'm all over it! Thanks. Gonna watch that one with setting up the LSD and backlash. Do you speak Japanese? Wish I did right now.

Edited by RebekahsZ