HybridZ

Help-my rear hatch won't stop squeeking!

I need help. My rear hatch is driving me crazy squeeking all the time. I adjusted the latch and that tightened the hatch up and that helped a little, but the problem persists. Lubing the hinges hasn't helped. I think the latch is just scratching on the little peg on the tailgate. Anybody got a good fix. I can hear this hatch over a straight-pipe V8 and it is driving me nuts like finger nails on a chalkboard!

ha ha I had the same problem! I even had someone drive my car while i crawled back to see what it was. I even lubed everything up until i discovered that one of the dove tails on the sides was loose i tightened it up with a philips screwdriver and it was finally killed the squeek. :bonk: well i belive it may be the same mine was everytime i hit any kind of bump.

I too as well have the same noise coming form the hatch. I think its the latch like some have already said. I tried readjusting it and didnt help, also lubed it and that didnt help either. My latch has to much free play when closed, its like the latch thingy does not grab around the round tab tight enough.

• 3 weeks later...

The solution was incredibly simple. I had envisioned taking the lower half of the assembly apart to make a plastic roller, etc, etc. Wanna know what silenced 20 years of squeaking? A dab of grease. Sweet silence.

Edited by RebekahsZ

The solution was incredibly simple. I had envisioned taking the lower half of the assembly apart to make a plastic roller, etc, etc. Wanna know what silenced 20 years of squeaking? A dab of grease. Sweet silence.

Don't you love it when the simple, easy, practically free answer is the right answer? :lol: Glad to hear that you got it all figured out. It's amazing what a little grease can do.