HybridZ

Rabbit chewed through sensor wire

Well, first question, what is this? And what is its level of importance? Also, can i solder a new wire to this or do i need a whole new one? I noticed that it grounds to a bolt under the distributor. I'm trying to rescue this car from its life at the junk yard in the High Desert. Its giving me trouble when i try and get it running. Its been sitting a very long time, i'd say roughly 7 years since the last time it saw pavement.

// I have a 1977 280z 2+2, original engine.

// More info per request.

(The paint is 4 months old)

post-27559-028083800 1337207765_thumb.jpg

post-27559-081425400 1337207775_thumb.jpg

post-27559-017297200 1337207864_thumb.jpg

Not positive but I think that's the BCDD solenoid. There's probably a hole up under the throttle body where that used to be.

And the ground wire connector in your other picture actually came from the condenser/capacitor up by the coil. The BCDD solenoid actually has its own power supply through the harness up to a gismo (amplifier?) connected to the speedometer, I believe. It's described in the Emissions section of the FSM.

That sounds pretty damn important... And yes it was located at the bottom of the throttle body. Where does the wire go? I thought it just ground out to that connector I have in the picture> But it connects to the harness? Where on the harness? And the ground wire, Are you sure that it goes to the condenser?

I need help figuring all this out.

Mine is filled with JB weld so it is not necessary for the car to run. The BCDD (boost controlled decelleration device) is an emmisions thing that keeps your rpms up when you push the clutch in above a certain speed (10 mph) for an allotted amount of time, most of them are broken and people either block them off or wire a constant 12v source to trick the BCDD into thinking its always under 10mph

http://www.zcar.com/70-83_tech_discussion_forum/fixed_bcdd_high_idle_663909.0.html

Edited by 1977 280z

Where can I find a constant 12v to connect it to?

If you can not answer that question yourself then you should get a multi-meter at harbor freight for $2 and find the 12v source yourself, or do some searching and learn some more about cars because 12v sources are everywhere in your engine bay.

And as for the automatic tranny I have no clue! :unsure:

Where can I find a constant 12v to connect it to?

Constant meaning, constant AFTER the ignition.... Though you'd probably be safe going right off the battery it's not recommended. Even a small drain over time right off the battery would be a no no where I'm from. Don't want to find a dead battery at 40 below. Need every amp you can get! 1977 is right though, find yourself a meter.

Find, and eat, that rabbit.

But only after extracting how it was wired before he at it.

WARNING: if he sticks a paw into your rifle barrel, DO NOT pull the trigger!!! Likewise, if he knots the barrels, don't pull the trigger then, either!

Find, and eat, that rabbit.

But only after extracting how it was wired before he at it.

WARNING: if he sticks a paw into your rifle barrel, DO NOT pull the trigger!!! Likewise, if he knots the barrels, don't pull the trigger then, either!

Look, that rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

logo.jpg

Edited by Leon

hehe how did I guess this was doomed to MontePython. Now the +12v source in the engine compartment could be from anywhere, but be careful because most of the system works on closing open grounds to complete circuits like fuel injectors. You should really pull the sevice manual, and look up where switched +12v is in the harness and link into that. It might be an idea to stop by a sterio shop and pick up an inline fuse 5a or 10a, just in case. When I was playing, I seem to remember there being a thick white wire with a red stripe in my engine compartment that was switched +12v. But really get a meter and test it. Meters are cheap at radio shack or harbor freight/ebay.