HybridZ

LSD Driveway fail

brianZortiz

I have a 3.9 LSD with extra clutches. It works really well and my handling improved over open diff(s). I went to a 7/11 and the driveway was really steep. My car is lowered so I approached the driveway slowly and right rear tire was in the air while all weight shifted to left rear of car making the rear fender lock up with the tire. I got stuck with only right rear spinning as left was locked from fender/tire. I spun it for like 2-3 seconds and pushed it back into the street. I was wOndering if an LSD diff can act like this on a situation like this one. I hope I didn't mess my diff up, but when I drove away, nothing seemed wrong.

• Administrators

That is not abnormal. With one tire in the air, the only thing loading the clutches is whatever pre-load there happens to be and that's not normally enough. Once both tires have some grip, the side gears have something to work against and can load the clutches up MUCH more.

Great question. I always hope for answers from people with knowledge. I recognize, however, that I often ask stupid questions.

So, mechanically, application of power against the resistance of the brakes forces the LSD up the internal ramps and gives the driver more locking than merely breakaway torque?

Exactly. Preload is just that. But our limited slips are torque sensitive, and they can lock up quite a bit harder than the preload. They need some traction to do it though, and stepping on the brake simulates traction and gives the LSD something to work against.