HybridZ

H4 Headlights

Sanchez

So I got a wonderful pair of H4 Headlights from John over at H4lights.com and noticed after checking out the Narva XB3 Bulbs in there, that there is also a small bulb inside with another connector. What is this bulb for, and how can I wire it up for its main purpose?

Regarding mods, I would like to put a nice set of LED Halos around the Headlights. Cut 'em off at a certain point, maybe 3/4 inch unlit, to give it a real mean look in the night; for fun. Are there any that won't be super permanent that other people have used?

Thanks alot

Yep, city lights.

There was a time you could get bulbs for those city lights that were 35Watts. With those on ALONE the cops leave you alone because they are nearly as bright as the old stock Sealed Beams!

For the halo look cheap try this

1. go to home depot and get one of those clear window shade battons (to make the slats move)

2. every few inches make a cut into them about half way through.

3. slowly heat up the wand and bend it ever so carefully into a circle.

4. wire an LED into the end of it.

5. turn on the LED and it will give you that Audi headlight look.

Thanks for letting m know about the city lights. But how can I make use of them i.e. wire them into my system if at all possible.

By the way I found this cool tutorial on making your own Angel Eye's/Halo Lights for any car for about twenty dollars. I just got finished installing them on my friends Mazda as a test and they look mean. Just look up how to make your own LED Angel Eyes.

My H4 Lights-supplied Autopal Housings have had them in there since....1995.

Hasn't fried them or the wiring yet!huh.gif

Yep, I too have these lights. I LOVE em. No problems and very bright coupled with the msa relay upgrades.

Edit: Here's a pic of them without the car on

photobucket-1539-1334803283860.jpg

Edited by OldAndyAndTheSea

• 2 weeks later...

Normally, they are.

What's your point?

Have you looked at a Y2K Nissan Frontier with 65W 9007 Lights? What gauge are those headlight leads?

If you are running relays and not back through the archaic ground linked switch on the column.....(even if you are... I didn't relay my car till 2004!)

Smaller gauge wire than what I got from John in 95 for my 'city lights'...

Normally, they are.

What's your point?

Have you looked at a Y2K Nissan Frontier with 65W 9007 Lights? What gauge are those headlight leads?

If you are running relays and not back through the archaic ground linked switch on the column.....(even if you are... I didn't relay my car till 2004!)

Smaller gauge wire than what I got from John in 95 for my 'city lights'...

I was just curious about the city lights, 0.4A consumption to 2.8A consumption is a big jump for that little socket. I recall people (back in 95) melting the plastic insulation inside the socket from using higher power lamps on other cars. If it works and is reliable, it is what it is.

You haven't used the product, and don't know what is being sold, why are you hanging on to this so hard? Seriously, 3A on the city lights socket (BA9 Based Bulb) is not a big deal.

For christ's sake look up wire ampacities and see what you can do with wire sizing to keep it below the insulation rating of even automotive grade insulation temperatures.

No, you can't run 130W H4's on the stock wiring through the switch (for long)---you will fry stuff.

3A on a 16 gauge wire? To a metal socket with a Bakelite base and brass contacts? Are you REALLY SERIOUS???? Puh-LUEASE! dry.gif

Edited by Tony D

"35W city lights are going to fry that socket and wiring! "

That's not a question, that's an authoritative statement of a fact---which is wrong. And which you persisted in murmuring on about.

Read the rules: Grammar is required here if you are to be understood in what you are saying.

I've talked around it trying to be polite, but it comes down to this: You talked out your arse not knowing about the product or it's background by making that statement and then persisting.

STOP IT!

angry.gif

Edited by Tony D