HybridZ

72 rb25 240z

alrighty guys, havent been on here in a long time. i had plans for a 2jz z32, but life took a different direction, i joined the military and ended up picking up a LsX swapped 1997 240sx.

i recently got offered a 1972 240z with a bone stock (minus a boost controller) S2 rb25 in it and i have no idea the going rate for these.

pictures of the car can be seen here

http://s1182.photobucket.com/albums/x444/tatersalad5/

001.jpg

more info on my car can be found here

http://240atlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?75872-1997-240-LsX-swapped

IMG_0907.jpg

went and saw it today, it was super clean! the guy wants to do a straight trade, but i've got around 13-14k in my 240.

now mind you, my 240 isn't perfect. far from it. but it is a real kouki, and any correctly done ls swapped s-chassis doesn't go for cheap.

I'm honestly not sure if this is even the correct place to be posting this, but most other car forums that i lurk around such as zilvia is just full of what seems like pubescent teenage boys that just like to bash everything they don't like.

I guess i'm really looking for suggestions or, rather opinionated facts.

I've always had kind of a ..fetish ( :blink: ) for any Z car, i've had 2 z32's and absolutely loved them. always wanted an s30.

anyways, i'm just rambling on now.

again, if this is the wrong place to be posting i apologize!

Thanks guys.

What else is done to the Z? Like suspension wise or interior?

Also an S30 has a way bigger cool facter than a s14. 240sx's are dime a dozen, granted yours has an LSx motor. That Z can easily be worth 10-12k( if he has fancy suspension parts) and that's about what your s14 is probably really worth also.

Again it really depends on what else is done to the Z. You say you're car isn't complete, so I'm taking that at face value.

my car is complete, i drive it every day. there's just small things wrong.

he has some ebay coil overs in the back and some springs up front, no fancy suspension at all.

his interior is really clean, has a cracked dash. but all pieces seemed to be there, didn't really see any tears or anything. he's got z32 seats with the electronics working which i thought was kind of cool haha, and i agree about the cool factor, i love seeing any older Z. 240's are showing up everywhere.

Edited by DINOSAUR

Personally unless he put some cash on top to buy a big turbo (if thats what you are after) i wouldnt do it.

Originally, he was looking to put cash on top of a trade. That was before he ever offered to trade me though, I found his old for sale thread on Zilvia and it was in the March time frame.

I've asked him about getting cash on top, but he says he doesn't have any. If I could get 2-3k on top, I'd already be driving it!

Originally, he was looking to put cash on top of a trade. That was before he ever offered to trade me though, I found his old for sale thread on Zilvia and it was in the March time frame.

I've asked him about getting cash on top, but he says he doesn't have any. If I could get 2-3k on top, I'd already be driving it!

All I'm saying is you can't beat the way an old car drives or how you can really feel the power. On top of that you'd be driving one of the most loved cars of a past time with a motor swap in it that is only limited to what you put into it. Just sayin' B)

All I'm saying is you can't beat the way an old car drives or how you can really feel the power. On top of that you'd be driving one of the most loved cars of a past time with a motor swap in it that is only limited to what you put into it. Just sayin' B)

I completely agree with you! 100%. Old cars, rather old sports cars, are just great.

As far as power, an rb build gets REALLY expensive, really fast! Like we mentioned wallago, if I could get some cash on top just to even serve towards a bigger turbo, I'd be happy. It's just hard for me to justify trading a car I have around 14k in for a beautiful shell with a bone stock rb25. I'm not saying the swap was cheap or anything by any means, but I've seen a few s30's with rb25's go for 8-9 price range. I just don't see the Z being worth more than 8-9 in today's market, not that I'm trying to make money off of it or anything. Man, this is a tough decision. :unsure:

Have you driven it? That could be the whole selling point right there!!! :rolleyes:

When we met I went for a ride in it, it felt great when boost came on, trust me! Haha it really was a fun ride, but like I said, it's just hard to justify a straight trade for a 12-13k car for a 8-9k car.

I told myself I'd never get rid of this 240 that I have now (I'm sure we can all say that at some point in time) but this s30 is just drivin me crazy! :P

The original reason I DID post the car up for sale though, was a 1992 300zx with a 2jz. The Freed engineering car, was in super street some time ago I believe. I was going to sell mine, then go give him 13k. He sold the car before I could get to it though, unfortunately. Then this car was offered to me as a trade, never even crossed my mind one would be offered to me. I absolutely love them.

Keep the S30, but keep in mind that would be the majority response on this site. Since you are asking, it sounds to me like you really want to keep the S30. ;) ;)

Don't have the S30 yet, but you are correct that I most definitely want it!

I've got my s14 and love it, I love the Ls, I love the mpg i get, the reliability, etc.

All in all I suppose it does come down to what I want, but like I said before, it's just hard to come to a compromise.

12-13k car for a 8-9k car? Man oh man. :(

He is getting the upper hand mostly since his suspension is crap. That's just my opinion. Hold out for cash on top.

So what you're saying is, fight like a woman? Just gotta play hard to get. He REALLY wants my car haha.

I think I'm in favor of your opinion. Also just took my car out for a run, first time I've really gotten into it in a while, also first time I've had the ass slide out from me with these much wider and stickier tires! Gotta love the power of a v8 in a tuna-can, doesn't matter who you are!

Well those Rims on the S30, aren't cheap. They look like Rotas, so that's some $ right there. How about the brakes on the S30, have they been swapped over to the toyota 4runner brakes and Disc added to the rear? Both swaps aren't cheap to do. How is the S30 as for rust? how do the frame rails look. Have you gone over the body with a magnet to be sure there's not a lot of bondo? What's the sound system like? Alarm? You're looking at 12K for an 8K car, even $9K You've got to see where that extra value is. Really tho, it's up to you, If you like the S30, and think it's worth it, then make the trade. Cash on top to you is icing... Still it's up to you. Cars as with all things are only worth what someone will pay for it. If you think it's worth it for the personal enjoyment side, then it's worth it. If YOU don't think it is, then well it's your $...

Well those Rims on the S30, aren't cheap. They look like Rotas, so that's some $ right there. How about the brakes on the S30, have they been swapped over to the toyota 4runner brakes and Disc added to the rear? Both swaps aren't cheap to do. How is the S30 as for rust? how do the frame rails look. Have you gone over the body with a magnet to be sure there's not a lot of bondo? What's the sound system like? Alarm? You're looking at 12K for an 8K car, even $9K You've got to see where that extra value is. Really tho, it's up to you, If you like the S30, and think it's worth it, then make the trade. Cash on top to you is icing... Still it's up to you. Cars as with all things are only worth what someone will pay for it. If you think it's worth it for the personal enjoyment side, then it's worth it. If YOU don't think it is, then well it's your $...

I know the front brakes where swapped over to 4 runner, I believe the rear are still the stock.

Rota RB's are around 130 a wheel, new, and his tires are shot. The pictures in the photobucket album shows the car stripped, it really was a pretty rust free car from what i could see. There is a super small spot on the hatch area, They replaced floor pans, frame rails looked pretty good as well. I believe his father or someone he knows either works or owns a body shop, they painted it themselves and did all the body work and it looks really good. I saw one run spot, but it was pretty minimal. I believe he also said there was one rust spot they cut out and welded a piece of metal in its place. I actually have not gone over it with a magnet, but he's seemed really straight forward about the car and the pictures of it stripped down don't show any rust at all.

Thanks for the last few sentences as well, very good out look on things.

I'd say it's based on the mindset. There must be a reason for both parties to trade. You are looking to get back into a Z, the other guy we can only guess. Either he wants a more modern car with modern comfort, power steering, modern suspension and not deal with u-joints and drums, or there is an underlying problem and he wants to get out of the car, based off of his picture album, leaning towards the former.

And breakdown of the car with the limited info is as follow.

The Rb's in his size are 750 for a set and that's with the group buy. They're regularly ~850 shipped.

If you look through his picture thread it looks like the car was stripped down to bare metal, some filler is used but looks to be minimal. The cost for a rust free chassis is easily more than 2k+, a chassis that's been stripped down to bare metal and fixed, quite a bit more (I was quoted 2k for full sand blast and epoxy primer, that didn't even include body work, price of car, or any welding).

Paint and primer look to be pretty professionally done, (who knows a 3-5k job based on paint and shop granted they did it themselves).

RB25DET motor with appropriate rear wheel tranny in running order (3-5k job based on shop chosen and work done), quite curious what the diff is.

That combined with the J-spec body package and a clean interior and you are looking at over 10k of work/value (granted not too many people will pay that much).

Problems: the wear on the tires indicates either a lot of burn outs or toe wear, toe isn't really adjustable on a stock Z rear suspension, thus you will need control arms or eccentric bushings, drums in the rear with that much extra power may need to be addressed. For some reason they didn't paint the interior, just put what looks like POR over the rusty bits but left the orange color underneath. And if there is still visible rust spots even after all that work, it could mean there is some serious rot that wasn't addressed.

On your side:

S14, 146k on chassis, stock LS3, megan coils, stock interior.

Problems:

Body damage in the rear and new paint needed for the front fenders.

The way I see it it's a coin toss. Unless there's something wrong with either car, I don't think anyone is getting screwed in fact I think you would be getting the better deal. An s14 even with an ls motor is not particularly rare, that coupled with a stock interior, a stock motor sans tune and intake, and quite a bit of body damage really doesn't put it at it's asking price. An S30 with an RB swap is a small percentage of swaps on a limited number of available cars though. Granted the downfalls are as mentioned, old tech regarding suspension and brakes. And if you have 13k in your car, he could counter and say he has way more. Just look at insurance values.

My honest opinion? Check it out a little more than pull the trigger. The 240Z will only appreciate in value, while the 240sx will only depreciate.