HybridZ

Realistic Hp limits....... r200

slimtastic

Im trying to figure out the realistic hp limits of converting to 300 zx turbo half shafts with the billet modern motorsports adaptors and billet stub axles. this will based on the r200 center differental.

my engine plans are for 520 ci and around 740 hp without a power adder at the crank. will the r200 and the 300zx conversion live with this kind of power or am I shooting spitwads? tires will be 275 radials.

Yes sir i sure did but the problem is that the power estimates in that thread are just that, estimates. i was hoping for a few real world examples of the 300zx/r200 living up to abuse past the "advertised" 400 ft-lbs like what is estimated in that thread.

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/62749-new-photo-of-the-z-car-doing-a-wheelie/page__hl__%2Bjnjdragracing+%2Br200

Plenty of guys running big torque with r200's out there. Read that thread and you'll see they were using cv's with stock stub axles. And considering the shock loads from those super tall slicks I think anyone with ANY horsepower or torque would have a hard time breaking an r200 or cv's mated to them in a street tire setup, unless they decided to go from 3rd to 5th slamming gears with 800+ ft/lbs on tap, and you'd need to be going 100mph+ to get traction with that kind power in most cases.

Study jnjdragracing. Look at his videos on youtube, check his posts, PM him, etc. He is running a welded R200 with CV axles. He told me today that he is running in the 5s (1/8th mile) and hasn't broken a CV axle yet. He's been running a "stock" rear suspension for several years. He's running bias ply slicks with an automatic trans. Was running a blown alcohol small block Chevy and is now running a dual turbo charged small block. He has broken stock u-joint axles; I don't know if he is still on his first diff or not. The automatic and bias plies may be helping. He stands by the need to limit squat so that the axles remain straight (no angle in the CVs) under power. Parts breakage has lots of factors beyond simple Hp and torqe. Track conditions and dynamic conditions like wheel hop, rpm for clutch drop, pre-existing casting flaws and component wear probably have just as much to do with it than Hp and Tq.

JeffP was running Quaife Equipped R200 at 735RWHP and 500+ torque. Somewhere I have a series of launches on his DOT street-legal slicks (recommended by a ZO6 Owner with 700HP).

Before that he had years on the Nissan CLSD R200 and 450 RWHP / 480 RWTQ.

You can break anything you want if you try it enough. You're asking about specifics and give us generalities.

We can't answer your question until you ask it framed in the context of use. Same as your complaint of the prior threads being 'estimates'...

I've seen 10 second Caddy-Powered S30's running the stock open R200 with a welded center and BIG slicks. And hell if that wasn't on U-Joints!

As stated, with no angularity in the driveline the ability to transfer torque goes up quite a bit. It isn't the power or torque so much as the angularity putting extra strains (especially on U-Joints!)

Realistic Limit? I think they were running 1100HP for enduros in the S130, and 750 in the Z32.... Lots of rebodied Z's in those transition years while they got the new chassis sorted.

Like stated...it's all a matter of application. And you didn't give one! So I would take 'realistic' to mean 'previously race proven' and there you have it! And even then, that's only one type of racing. GIGO my man, GIGO!

Edited by Tony D

This was posted in the GEN I/II chevy section earlier, i think it applies

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=41288

I do not claim to be an expert, but the main cause of breakage tends to be open diffs using the u joint axles (or so it seems), either the U joint snaps on hard shock loads (launch) or the spider gears grenade from RPM differentials (One wheel peel) I know a man with a welded R200 and CV's who has no issues (Heads/Cam LS1) and his only ever issue was snapping u joints before the CV swap

Edited by Fuzzydicerule

My application is street with at least 12 visits to the quarter a year,

Street radials for street/28x9 slicks for track

Reverse Pattern full manual th-400 no brake

22-2400 stall

Travel limiters in rear to level Out suspension

Either a 3.54 or ideally a 3.36 rear ratio

400 ft lbs at idle 500ft lbs at 2000 rpm/ max hp at 68-7000 redline 7400

What other info is required?