HybridZ

~73 Turbo L28 to N/A RB25 240z Project~

Got the old girl running this past weekend. A list of some things I did in the past few months were:

- fix exhaust leak

- fix oil pan leak / install new oil pan

- fix turbo oil drain leak

- replace turbo, install new wastegate & water lines

- replace intake manifold

- replace upper and lower thermostat housings / install new thermostat

- replace intake pipe

- utilize pcv valve and crank case ventilation

- replace fuel rail

IMG_6735_zps130b451d.jpg

Here's a teaser shot for now. Need to get everything cleaned up and tucked where I want first.

IMG_6739_zps32b8d824.jpg

After relocating some grounds I was able to give the car a full test run today. As expected the turbo does spool faster and power feels much better but it's running rich and during high boost / full throttle it's backfiring and holding back the real power this turbo will push out. The previous set up ran rich as well, any suggestions / opinions on this matter would be much appreciated.

On a side note, when I get back from a drive and put the car back in the garage I don't notice the immense heat coming from the engine bay. Normally the whole garage would be hot and you could really feel the engine warmth when near it. Now it's very noticeable how much cooler it is. I would go out on a limb and say 40% cooler, don't quote me on that. The non water cooled stock turbo must really generate some heat!

Edited by ~KnuckleDuster~

Glad to hear its running. There's always kinks to work out. Haha. What ECU are you running on this? Are you running the same boost as you previously were? Maybe fuel map issue?

Once I get mine running I'm definitely gonna look into a water cooled turbo setup too. Heat goes to cold, so if you are able to keep the turbo cool, you help dissipate the exhaust manifold heat and down pipe heat, as well as helping keep the intake side of the turbo cooler. Its not quite as advantageous as an intercooler is in giving you dense cooler air, but its definitely gonna do SOMETHING to help with intake air temperatures.

Glad to hear its running. There's always kinks to work out. Haha. What ECU are you running on this? Are you running the same boost as you previously were? Maybe fuel map issue?

Once I get mine running I'm definitely gonna look into a water cooled turbo setup too. Heat goes to cold, so if you are able to keep the turbo cool, you help dissipate the exhaust manifold heat and down pipe heat, as well as helping keep the intake side of the turbo cooler. Its not quite as advantageous as an intercooler is in giving you dense cooler air, but its definitely gonna do SOMETHING to help with intake air temperatures.

The ecu is from an 83 turbo. Previous boost was 5psi now it's 8psi.

Yeah my cold side IC pipe was actually cold for once even after shut off and sitting. I'm liking it.

The ecu is from an 83 turbo. Previous boost was 5psi now it's 8psi.

Yeah my cold side IC pipe was actually cold for once even after shut off and sitting. I'm liking it.

Im pretty sure you have surpassed the stock tune capabilities and are probably starving the motor for fuel, aka leaning out. These are reasons to go with a Mega Squirt unit. If you are opposed to that, there's ways to modify the stock fuel maps, but a mega squirt unit will be a much better bang for your buck.

Im pretty sure you have surpassed the stock tune capabilities and are probably starving the motor for fuel, aka leaning out. These are reasons to go with a Mega Squirt unit. If you are opposed to that, there's ways to modify the stock fuel maps, but a mega squirt unit will be a much better bang for your buck.

Nah, this turbo isn't pumping out that much power. It's running rich. Exhaust poping, black smoke, fuel consumption. I would be lucky to to putting out 220-240 hp.

I would love to go megasquirt but I done like wiring and don't really want to leave my car in someone else's hands for god knows how long. I've read some about adjusting the AFM to adjust the air fuel ratio, might have to get on that.

Edit: reference here http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/afm/index.html

Edited by ~KnuckleDuster~

Nah, this turbo isn't pumping out that much power. It's running rich. Exhaust poping, black smoke, fuel consumption. I would be lucky to to putting out 220-240 hp.

I would love to go megasquirt but I done like wiring and don't really want to leave my car in someone else's hands for god knows how long. I've read some about adjusting the AFM to adjust the air fuel ratio, might have to get on that.

Edit: reference here http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/afm/index.html

Good link! Yeah, that looks like a good place to start with.

I've done a mega squirt system on a BMW before. Its not terrible to wire. Took 5 or so hours. I've gotta finish up the mega squirt system on my car. Its got a MS II that's partially installed (70%). I helped my dad with it years ago before we just stopped working on it.

Keep up the good work.

Well I adjusted my AFM as described in the above link and it's running way better. This turbo is a great improvement over stock without having to upgrade a bunch of other things to go along with it. Super happy with how everything has turned out so far. I'm going to have time to make an exhaust video clip this weekend, been working a lot and it's been stupid hot out.

• 2 weeks later...