HybridZ

LATEST info on Headers For SBC - YES I searched...

rsicard, I think the best solution for oiling is a drysump by far.  I'll continue to run the champ 7 qt roadrace pan/tray/scraper and the accusump/remote filter/cooler setup until I move off to the LS1.  Those headers I don't think will fit my application, but I'm thinking about getting Jerr's headers from him and cutting them to fit or buying some Sandersons and starting some chop/cut/build.

Mike

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up with a set of hooker headers that jnjdragracing sent me.  They have a slip joint on the #1 exhaust pipe on the driver's side that allows you to remove the section before installing/removing from car.  Should make getting around the Steering shaft cake, and hangs about as low as my 7 inch deep oil pan.  I'm now cutting up the oil pan on the passenger side to clear that side header. 

Mike

And again, I hope you're both wrong.  Otherwise, I'll be bolting these block huggers back up.  The one thing I've ALWAYS hated about the Datsun swap is the LACK OF F'N HEADER OPTIONS for guys who actually track their friggin' cars... It's such a compromise over and over... Pan clearance, header clearance, heat issues... Goddamn I don't know why we do this to ourselves...Ugh.

I agree, the headers and exhaust are the biggest problem with a V8 Z car.  There's just not a good solution other than full custom headers.

However, the hooker block huggers aren't that bad.  Mark used them on his yellow car, and we know how it ran.  One time we were both at VIR, my white car was making an honest 420-425 at the wheels, and he could pull me pretty good on the straights.  That proved to me that they might not be ideal, but they can work.

jt

If you use moter plate youll need 1 knuckle joint on steering shaft with scarab headers. That is what I used. They are s@s 13/4 primary full length. We moved engine back to center instead of offset to passenger side. Engine is still close to firewall. Plus plate helps reinforce frame rails. I went from 406 to 427 sbc. Stick to auto. Ps I have trans flywheel and all access to install. As well as 390 rear with disk brakes.

Funny you should mention this... I ditched my kickout oil pan.  I went back to a "cheater" IMCA pan that has windage tray and trapdoors.  It's 5 quarts plus filter.  I'll give up the 1.5 quarts extra.  If it becomes an issue I'll go to a drysump.

Mike 

I am trying to avoid going to a dry sump oil system.  The idea of having to add another driven accessory to the front of the engine brings nightmares.  I have a two kick-out racing oil pan that has (6) six trap doors.  Additionally, I will add a pressurized reservior for those instances when oil pressure drops due to hard stop or corners.  I want to road race my 240Z at Firebird in Phoenix.  Much work yet to do on the 240Z.

RSICARD check my build thread on the oilpan I just installed.  It's pretty nice for the application and avoiding the whole kickout issue... And it was $59.

Here are pics of the exhisting exhaust and the header I hope to use.  The header number is 2147 from hooker.

IMG_5672.jpgIMG_5666.jpgIMG_5673.jpg

Edited by Mikelly

Mike:

Thanks very much for the part number and pictures of your long tube headers.  I see that the LH header flange is two pieces and separates behind the number 1 cylinder exhaust and the slip joint in the primary tube.  I will try to find the build thread which includes the newer oil pan.  It is difficult to imagine that the cheater oil pan is effective for road racing.