HybridZ

pics of custom LS1 mounts

Been reading up on the ls swaps and see some people state they made their own vs the JCI kit. Whether its for header clearance or just because you wanted to, please post your pics in this thread. I think it would help some people if they plan to make their own. Also any recommendations would be cool. What do you think guys and gals?

Lets see your custom LS1 mounts!!

Here is mine.

http://www.supermotors.net/registry/24480/78972

Don't mind the fact that it says its a 300zx, supermotors doesn't know what a 1978 280z is. They definitely were not designed for header clearence though(In fact these mounts are part of the reason why my car attracts more rednecks than a saturday night dirt track race). Had I been thinking about headers when I built my mounts, I would have built them differently(Especially on the passenger side). The JCI setup where it mounts on the front part on the passenger side is the way to go I think. Mounting in the stock firebird position leaves very little room between the mount and the starter. The main reason I built mounts would be because they only took about 15 bucks in metal instead of 300 dollars, and I'm a huge "Built not bought" guy. If I have the tools to build it, its probably going to be built instead of bought. Oh and don't be afraid to solid mount it, vibes aren't much(If any) worse than poly mounts, and you can make really tight clearences because the motor wont be moving.

-Will

I used some generic mounting plates that convert the 4 bolt ls1 to standard sbc mount pattern from ebay and then built some mounts to that. Other than that i used what i had.... some scrap metal, a stock datsun mount and the rubber mounts left over from my previous JTR swap. I've had it running for the past month and the engine hasn't fallen out once!!!!

passenger side(modified stock datsun mount):

IMAG0056.jpg

IMAG0226.jpg

IMAG0395.jpg

IMAG0402.jpg

Driver's side mount:

IMAG0385.jpg

IMAG0388.jpg

IMAG0229.jpg

IMAG0391.jpg

and this gives you an idea of the mounting position

IMAG1069.jpg

• 8 months later...

I bought my Z without an engine but it did have a trans and a trans mount I also had some shiny new poly bushings for the trans mount so with some 1/8" x 2 flat steel to reinforce the trans mount and some 1/4" flat for the engine connection I built mine. I may run some reinforcement down to the t/c buckets before it's all said and done.

post-33376-0-80307200-1374632225_thumb.jpg

post-33376-0-75001000-1374633105_thumb.jpg

post-33376-0-84013700-1374633619_thumb.jpg

Edited by Naptown Dave