HybridZ

280z brakes no pressure

So today I replaced the brake pads on the front of my 280z. The old brakes did not stop very good, and had a hell of a time on hills. so I jaked the car up, took the left caliper off, pulled the pads out, put the new pads in and put it all back together. (just the left front) I bled the line to see if there was any improvement. Right away I could tell it was stopping better. so I proceeded to do the right side. did everything the same way. and when i tried the bleed the line I couldnt get any pressure to build up in the line. none at all.

Does anyone know why this is happening? Any information would really help.

I took the caliper off because the pistons in the caliper would not deflate enough to get the pads in. I had to take the caliper off and push the pistons deeper in to get clearance if that makes sense.

Also i'm pretty sure there aren't any leaks because I checked for oil on the ground and there was none. I also checked the hoses and all the points where the brake lines attach and nothing was leaking far as I could tell.

When you push the pistons back in the calipers to get room for the new pads it can take a few pumps to get them pushed back out again, to get the pads to contact the rotor.  Maybe you just need to pump the pedal a few more times. 

You might have damaged the seal in the master cylinder.  Apparently, the rubber seal can get damaged when it travels over areas that haven't seen a seal in a while.  Look in the reservoir while someone presses the pedal and see if the fluid is going anywhere.  Careful when it comes back it might squirt out of the reservoir if the cap is off.

You might have air in your master cylinder. The Master cylinder needs to be primed if they've been run out of fluid.  It makes bleeding a pain.  When you open the valve on the caliper connect a clear hose to it and put the other end into a jar. pump and add pump and add I bet you'll start seeing bubbles, once it's just clear fluid, close the valve and repeat.  once it's done on all four wheels, you should have brakes. (its possible you blew a MC or brake seal forcing the caliper. )

You might have air in your master cylinder. The Master cylinder needs to be primed if they've been run out of fluid.  It makes bleeding a pain.  When you open the valve on the caliper connect a clear hose to it and put the other end into a jar. pump and add pump and add I bet you'll start seeing bubbles, once it's just clear fluid, close the valve and repeat.  once it's done on all four wheels, you should have brakes. (its possible you blew a MC or brake seal forcing the caliper. )

^ ^ ^  This...

Maybe you sucked air into the line, too?  Unlikely, and I am sure you were topping off while bleeding, but just one more idea.

Also, just to clarify....can you not build up pressure in any lines, or just the last one you bled?  If the pedal is still firm and the first one you bled is still getting pressure, maybe the front right never had good pressure and that's why it wasn't stopping.  A long shot, but just to make sure the bases are covered.

I might try a vacuum bleeder to see if you can pull any fluid from it.  Maybe a massive piece of gunk went down into the line.  Who knows?  All just pretty long-shot ideas...  If nothing else, grab a new master cylinder. Yours has to be getting pretty old, so might as well freshen it up a bit.

Sorry for not replying, been too busy. I was able to work on it last night. It was kind of a "what was i thinking" moment. 

The bleeder screw on the left rear drum was open just a tiny bit. So although there was no visible leak, it was a leak because the brake fluid would drip out and slowly travel down the tire. I moved the car and there was oil hiding under the tire inside the tread. 

I cant believe i didn't check that first..

So after I tightened up the screw I Bled out all 4 corners and now my brakes work amazing. 

I do have one problem still and that is my E-brake.  When I pull it, nothing happens.  I unbolted the hand brake lever, and tried to re-align it. I had it working a little, but it "slipped out" some how.. I cant really explain because I don't know how the ebrake works. I looked under the car and it looks like, the handle is connected to a rod. That rod connects to something that splits it into two cables then goes out to each wheel. I think the problem is somewhere with the ebrake handle and the rod.. 

Does anyone understand what im trying to say? And do you have any ideas of how to fix it?

Not a hard copy. I use a online copy. But I have not checked it.

I recommend that you read it. It describes all of the systems on the car, how they work, how to service them and how to troubleshoot. This should be your first step before you dive in and start adjusting things you don't really understand, particularly when it comes to the brake system. A friend of mine serviced the brakes on his car for the first time without reading the service manual. He ended up smashing in the hood of his car and ripping the drivers side door off hinges, all without getting 10 feet from his garage! 

All of the information is there. Educate yourself. If you still get stuck, then you can at least describe things accurately.

Nigel