HybridZ

280z gas tank interior pics?

I have a 76 tank I am thinking of putting in my 240.  When I got it the exterior was in pretty good shape, but the inside was full of a gas/water mix.  When I drained it I got some fairly good sized chunks of rusted metal along with the more expected smaller debris.

My question, has anyone cut a 75-76 tank open and do they have pics of the interior handy?  The inside of the tank is covered in general surface rust which I might be able to clean up, but the larger chunks are worrying me.  I can see the swirl can in the middle, but did they put some type of trap door in there that might have disintegrated?

Thanks for any help.

Here is a pic another member submitted along time ago. I have had a 76' tank gone through the rebuild process with gastankrenu.com, which completely splits,blasts, then plastsol's the inside and paints the exterior. After spending lots of money on engine upgrades the last thing I wanted was an inferior fuel tank. I ended up selling the tank to another member as my build dragged on.

post-736-0-64608500-1356890337_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the reply.  The pic is a start, but am hoping to get a pic of the swirl pot in the middle.  It is not clear to me how that works.

I hear you on the dirty tank.  I got stalled about 2 weeks after my swap from debris in the fuel pump.  I had the 240 tank clean and resealed by a shop.  I am hoping to get the extra gallon and a half out of this one plus gain some sort of sump.

I pick up an inspection camera and looked around the inside.  No moving parts.  I think the chunks that came out are just scale.  I will look into the gastankrenu place and see if this one is too far gone to be saved.  The pic above is pristine compared to this one.

The pic above is pristine compared to this one.

If that's true, I might definitely consider getting a new tank.  Especially after a swap.  Some people do the LS1 tank conversions, which is what I plan to do.  If you absolutely have to have another clean S30 tank, I have one which has a very, very clean interior.

It's been pretty well documented here that the 76-77' tanks do not have the greatest baffling system and can still create fuel starvation issues in certain conditions(autocross,etc) in case you have not seen. With that being said, my intentions are to utilize the ATL black box placed into my stock 73' tank, which has been well written up here.

Thanks for the additional replies.

Yes, I am aware of the baffling opinions with the stock tanks and no, don't want a fuel cell.   I will keep my spare tire well and a fuel door outside the vehicle thank you.  The ATL black box was new to me.  I did a search but didn't find a install write up.  If someone has that handy I would appreciate a link.

All I am looking to do is gain a little more fuel capacity with at least marginally better fuel control for a carb'd LS swap.  Whatever I do will involve a half inch fuel pick up, hence the desire for some internal pics of what I am up against should I decide to modify this tank.

FWIW did some additional cleaning on the tank I have and the gunk appears to be fossilized gas instead of massive rust.  Still not a good situation but it is looking like this thing might clean up.  Will invest a little more time in it before pulling the trigger one way or the other.

Still need to look into the gastankrenu option.

These multipoint pickups look interesting

http://www.autoperformanceengineering.com/html/pickups.html

Edited by zdlite

Cut your tank in half and clean it really well, make mods, then weld it back together.  You can't get it clean without splitting it open.  Have 2 fuel pickups even if you cap one of them-you never know when you will want to add a wet nitrous system with an independent fuel pump.  Look at my build thread and you will find pictures of my modified tank.  There are also pictures of a 280z tank with the sump in the middle of it.

• 5 months later...

Cut your tank in half and clean it really well, make mods, then weld it back together.  You can't get it clean without splitting it open.  Have 2 fuel pickups even if you cap one of them-you never know when you will want to add a wet nitrous system with an independent fuel pump.  Look at my build thread and you will find pictures of my modified tank.  There are also pictures of a 280z tank with the sump in the middle of it.

I beg to differ, there are ways you can get the tank clean without splitting it open, one of the easiest ways is to fill the tank with small gravel stones and put it on some sort of rotisserie and turn it for a while, I have used this method on my gas tank and it worked amazingly

I beg to differ, there are ways you can get the tank clean without splitting it open, one of the easiest ways is to fill the tank with small gravel stones and put it on some sort of rotisserie and turn it for a while, I have used this method on my gas tank and it worked amazingly

Getting those stones out is a REALLY BIG pain in the ass. We did that on a early 74' 260 tank and I'm not sure we ever got them all, but it took a lot of shaking to get them out.  I'm planning on just cutting the top of the "hump" out cleaning, then welding in a flange for a z34 in tank pump on my 280Z project.