HybridZ

76 280z 5.3l build

Hello i am new to the forum. I resently purchased a 1976 datsun 280z with some body rust but frame rails and floor pan were solid. This will be a budget build I will be puting a 5.3l in it but havent decided if i would like to go turbo or nitrous. Any imput is greatly appriciated.

post-36033-0-62047000-1358479516_thumb.jpg

post-36033-0-58935400-1358479541_thumb.jpg

post-36033-0-79983500-1358479555_thumb.jpg

post-36033-0-91109200-1358479569_thumb.jpg

Welcome buddy! First off nice looken car. The interior looks quite well. If you going budget, id get it on its feet and runnen then do nitrous. If you go turbo it will be expensive and you will have to spend alot more money getting it to work right. Where nitrous is basically bolt on. Even supercharging is said to be easier to do then turbo. All up to you. Even stock its gonna tear it up! Heads and a cam makes it even better. I have a stock 5.7 ls1 and its crazy fast! You will love it. Check out peoples build threads for help. SunnyZ has a 5.3 build. Read up on all you can find and piece together what you need to know. Goodluck!

Jim

Definitely recommend getting it running/driving with the stock motor first, then after you get all the little swap things worked out, decide what you want to do to get more power. Trying to mod it before the swap will just make it much more difficult if it isnt running right.

Welcome to the forum!

P.S. SunnyZ was being nice, that steering wheel is horrible!

-Will

Lol one of the first things to go will be the zx steering wheel :) I will be picking up a low millage 5.3l with 4l60e trans and ecu next week. The guy I bought the car from said his sister was driving it and motor over heated had it towed home never messed with it. How much should I sell motor and 5 speed trans for. Also does anyone have any experience with the 4l60e trans my combo will be cam intake headers with 100 shot will the trans hold ?

Lol one of the first things to go will be the zx steering wheel :) I will be picking up a low millage 5.3l with 4l60e trans and ecu next week. The guy I bought the car from said his sister was driving 280z and motor over heated had it towed home never messed with it. How much should I sell the 280z motor and 5 speed trans for. Also does anyone have any experience with the 4l60e trans my combo will be cam intake headers with 100 shot will the trans hold ?

Get whatever you can for motor/trans. I gave mine away. Try Craig'slist. If you are gonna nitrous your motor from the get-go, go ahead and do what you have to to allow a bigger shot. I'm gonna blow your doors off if you just do a 100 shot. Go ahead and plan for a separate fuel pickup and dedicated fuel pump and do a big wet system. It's about the same amount of work, so aim bigger!

With a cam installed you'll need roughly a 3000 rpm stall converter and with nitrous I'd go a built 4l60e or 4l80e as mentioned above. I've also heard of mixed results with the stock 4l60e on long term reliability especially in high hp setups or nitrous applications.

Welcome! Good to see another local V8z I've been meeting quite a few guys lately. We should all get together once this thing is operational. I'm still pretty new to Z's and gm motors but I've learned quite a bit lately. Let me know if you need any help.

• 3 weeks later...