HybridZ

Fuel in my intercooler

I pulled my intercooler of today, I found that it was quite heavier then I remember. I Poured 1 gal of gas out of my intercooler.

I have been having issues with my 3.0 stroker not getting spark, I would try and try to start it but I wouldn't fire up.

I suspect that I Flooded the cylinder walls in the fuel backed up so much that it ran through the intake Plenum through the throttle body through the intercooler piping and down into the intercooler.

I think I'm happy it did not start....

If you have a manifold that has a Cold Start Valve on it, there is your culprit! Extended Cranking with a CSV is one of the largest reasons for fuel hydrolock out there!

Disconnect it electrically, you really don't need it. It is flowing as long as you're cranking! (And the engine temp is below a given point, I want to say 150 or something like that...)

The thermotime switch is supposed to heat up through an internal resistance heater and break the CSV circuit after so much time on Start, or after the engine has heated up.  Time or thermo.  Not saying that they always work, just that that's why it's there and what it's supposed to do. 

I dunno if the CSV is not needed per say... after sitting for 24 hours my car was very hard to start. But once started it was good all day. Found it to be a bad CSV. So if you take it out, be prepared for some hard starts in the morning...

Edited by AZGhost623

"I dunno if the CSV is not needed per say..."

I do, it's not. If you have fuel pressure in your rail, the initial batch firing of the engine at the rear of the valve is MORE than enough to fire off the engine.

Hard starting and extended cranking is usually related more to bad spark and low fuel pressure (like an empty fuel rail from bad fuel pump check valve and a pump trying to reprime the system) than of a bad CSV. Usually when they go "bad" people don't know for years.

I went through west texas in the snow, and my car started up after a full 12 hours in the cold with literally no problem. I was even thinking "damn I wish I had a cold start this is going to take a while" but it didn't. Now maybe if you lived where it dropped below 10 or even 15 I would consider it, but I have no experience in that range. 

Look using a pulsewidth line on an O-Scope at what your stock injectors do at -40!

Those injectors can supply 300HP.... You REALLY think they can't supply a priming shot at -40?

The ECCS-1978 JDM cars sold up north in mainland Japan did NOT use a CSV, they had fuel priming from the stock injectors.

Anybody who thinks a CSV is needed, do this test: Disconnect your Coolant Temperature Sensor....on your coldest morning day, with your CSV both clamped off from the fuel system, and disconnect it's plug.

You may start, but you will also chug along so pig-rich it won't be funny!

The computer is programmed for a cold-start regimen.

The CSV is a holdover from Bosh's first generation system which used 'wet' manifolds generally adapted to EFI usage in the early 70's. The CSV's function was to establish a tau layer quickly. It was quickly eliminated in later models because of the problems associated with it (excess flooding, and TERRIBLE emissions on startup!)

• 3 weeks later...