HybridZ

What would you pay? (Craigslist, Central Florida)

Vneck

I'm from GA. Did some local searching throughout the SE US and did not find anything I wanted at a decent price. I ended up shipping a car from Las Vegas. Mechanical repairs are a lot easier than doing rust repairs. For me it was well worth the shipping costs, many times over.

My buddy paid close to $2500 in 1979 dollars for rust repairs on his Michigan Owned 1969 Corvair.

In 1989, I paid $1,600 1989 Dollars for my 1966 Corvair Corsa Turbo Coupe.

When my bud saw it, he informed me "I suck!"

Additionally, the engine had Isky Cam, 0.060" Overbores TRW Slugs, and a balanced / blueprinted bottom end.

In 1979, in California...those cars were between $50~$1,000 maybe!

We could have had "Tony & Torre's Most Excellent Adventure" driving that car back for the difference in purchase price of the car in CA, and JUST THE RUST REPAIR COSTS on that Michigan heap!

The Internet make it too easy to find cars. People are just afraid to leave town and pick one up. Worst case: you take a Greyhound home and got to go back later to get it.

Since we're sharing stories...

I live in Ontario Canada, and found my '73 in Richland Washington, through the classifieds on this site, back at the end of '07. I flew out to Calgary to meet up with my uncle and we drove from there to see the car. Had it shipped up, and delivered to my work at the time. Worth every cent and minute.

If this was to be my only car though, I'm not sure I'd do the same. While my 240 has been extremely reliable, more so than my daily drivers, I wouldn't want it to be my only car.

• 3 weeks later...

Nope still looking in this area for now, thinking about going to look at http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/3655270465.html that, but the tick and a few other things have me kind of worried for a price tag of 5k

May have found a lead on a cheap, running, modded series 240z. I'll keep you guys posted

Anything come of that? I went to look at http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/3655215308.html and it was a complete bust.

Edited by Vneck

Don't buy the 260z, and how was the other one a bust?

I did pick up the car in AZ. It was a series 1 240z, with a VIN in the 8000's I believe. Got it for $2500, and had the guy sign the title and drop it off at my Uncles where it will sit for a little longer.

Little rust from the pics and from my uncles quick inspection, it does have a few minor dents, and it is completely stripped, (no interior and no behind the dash stuff). does come with a full set of autometer gauges, MSD 6A wired up, 5 speed and an L28/N42 engine combo with some Z therapy round top SU's. Engine is practically dialed in and "runs like a top" according to my uncle. Just all visual and comfort stuff I need to work on.

Link to my photo bucket album:

http://s995.beta.photobucket.com/user/Richard316/library/#/user/Richard316/library/Series%201%20240z?&_suid=13633749993500023252631419208858

My aunt has said several people have already offered to buy the car. Highest offer was $4000, which some people may say I  should have taken, but I know better.

Edited by BluDestiny

The 240 is spray painted all over... over rust... in the engine bay (literally everything is just sprayed black)... the inside of the side windows are even spray painted lol. Every wheel well rotting out. Those flairs are ebay flairs that dont fit, they're hanging off... Red stripe is tape... The car isn't lowered, the shocks just went out. Whole thing is pretty much a mess.

I'm starting to consider looking all over craigslist for one to be shipped, not quite there yet though-- looking to buy one in the next ~1.5 months

Sounds like you got a steal to me, pretty much what i'm looking for, something to run while I work on it.

Edited by Vneck

We've said it many many times, Learn where the rust happens, then go look at the cars. if it's out of town then ask for pictures of said areas. If the seller is on the level there should be no problem getting pictures sent in this day and age.    Once you're satisfied that you know what you're getting, then buy the car and maybe have it shipped.  There's a LOT of these cars Here in the SW, in NM, in TX, in AZ, In SoCal. Yes they're getting more rare, so prices are going up, the good stock ones are getting much fewer and far between.  There's still a few under $1000 if you look around. Contact local Z clubs and ask. Do your Homework, know what you're buying, You'll get a fair deal.

One BIG BIG thing I would highly recommend if you buy a Southwestern car and ship it to the East/Rustbelt or coastal region,  WAX THE F#!K out of it AND UNDERCOAT it.   Most of these southern cars have been sitting in the desert, dry and non-rusted for decades, the paint is full of micro scratches. If you just bring it to the east, it's going to rust almost as quickly as bare metal.  Once you get rust under the paint, you've got a much bigger issue.   So Protect your investment that you looked so hard to find.   It will save you a lot in the long run. 

On the otherhand, expect that most of the rubber is dryrotted from the heat and expect to replace it.  it's still a lot cheaper than fixing rust.