HybridZ

Creaks and groans

How much do other 240z's creak and groan when you turn up or down a driveway or incline into a parking lot?

I feel like the chassis is twisting a lot, and it seems to be worse when the gas tank is full. 

I can't tell if its the gas tank, springs, or body... but It sounds like an old battleship.

I see yours has a V8, mine has front and rear strut tower braces, roll bar and my sub frame rail is extended , all these items has help to minimize  the Z's creaks and groans. post-36683-0-28616100-1362240688_thumb.jpgpost-36683-0-97203400-1362240755_thumb.jpgpost-36683-0-79751500-1362240880_thumb.jpg  She is also rot free. FWIW 

Edited by PLATA

Have you changed your bushings to Poly already?  If you have they require regular lubrication, or they start creaking a lot. Especially in humid climates.  If you haven't made that mod, the creaks could be coming from the old rubber bushings that are 35+ years old.  It's kind of a damned if you do or damned if you don't situation.   If you find all NOS or repro Rubber bushings, likely they'd be good for a while with minimum lubrication.

It's the body flexing. A guy I used to autox with installed a roll bar and then welded that to the roof near the dome light and it stopped most of the creaking of the interior panels in back. Similarly if you jack up the front and put jackstands under the TC rod buckets and then let the jack down you can watch the front end sag ~1/2" under the weight of the motor. These cars are just old, thin, and had poorly designed chasses to start with. Search "chassis stiffening" if you want to see some fixes.

Mine does the same thing. Im in the process of trying to stiffen the chassis as we speak. I didn't want to do it but i think a full roll cage in these cars is almost a must if you plan on achieving any real speed numbers safely.

Mine creaks and groans especially with the new stiffer suspension and the poly bushings seem more noisy?

At a recent track event I noticed the "big kids" were showing off by jacking a front corner and watching that whole side come off the ground evenly...  Ya, I get it- you are manly stiff.

I feel my limp noodle approach helps me adhere to the track better, like a centipede of sorts.  And rust is light, just sayin..

Future mod is a spare shell to beef up and swap all my fun parts onto.

I worried about the noises my 73 made until I went on a ride at an SCCA Auto-X in Eric Messley's BSP car (later AKA John C's "Rusty Old Datsun")

After that ride, I realised my similar street driving style elicited the same noises... Alles normal, mein herr!