HybridZ

Oil less turbo

BluDestiny

looks good, all i takes is a teny tiny leap of faith :) i might get myself one of those when my dailydriver turbo fails.

i have one reservation only, oil leaks in the turbo is less of a problem than a water leak, at least in my head... or did i miss something important?

also, what are the service intervals on greasing the bearings?

The oil less turbos are basically just a standard comp TBB center, the only big advancement is the addition of a very specific extremely high temperature capable grease that is used to pack the bearing unit with. This is expected to last 5 years or 40-50k miles.

The above is quoted from these thread - http://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/1398813-comp-turbo-oilless-turbos.html

I would like to add that the water is run through a totally different chamber that doen't contact the shaft. Therefore couldn't leak into the comp or turbine housings.

Maglev Bearings are coming, industrials have used them for years in oil free process compressors.

First had maglev power sources that were the size of a Hummer, now the smaller stuff (400hp range) has a maglev power module no bigger than a couple of briefcases.