HybridZ

Bumper Support for MSA Type 2 Kit

I decided to add some bumper support for my MSA 2 front and rear skirts. I don't like the idea of my daughter driving without at least a small amount of collision protection. Plus given teenage boys who constantly have to lean or stand on something I decided to give some support to the fiberglass bumpers using 1" 11 Gauge steel tubing and fabricating support structures for the skirts to sit on. This will reduce the risk of fiberglass fractures from someone leaning or "resting" on the skirts while providing a small amount of protection in case of a minor fender bender. I also removed the front tow hooks and used those mounting holes and fabricated support bars to reach over to the fender wells to support the bottom corners of the front skirt.

I used the original front bumper shock mounts and just torched off the shocks leaving the mounting plates which I welded the tubing to directly. For the rear, I just got lazy and cut off the shocks so I didn't have to drop the gas tank and welded directly onto the remaining tube. What do you think of my answer to the Kobayashi Maru?

2013-03-25_14-00-52_976.jpg

2013-03-25_14-01-04_305.jpg

2013-03-25_14-01-41_848.jpg

2013-03-25_14-01-29_329.jpg

Edited by Erins.ZCar

That's a great idea, I like it. Seems like a simple mod. I wonder how much protection it actually offers.

We estimate under 10MPH only! Otherwise manufacturers would have been doing it 30+ years instead of Park Benches... :icon46: Mostly concerned about radiator and gas tank damage in a minor collision. I could double the bars or size and add some diagnal supports but the weight increase would equal the original bumpers.

Won't you run the risk of tweaking the frame of the car in a minor collision now though? With something like the type 2 kit maybe you could use a more modern bumper technology and fill it with shock absorbing material which should be more effective at protecting the car against damage.

My dad used to have a Ford Mondeo, he got rear-ended at the lights pretty hard and there was no damage to the bumper at all. I think it was filled with some sort of foam - it popped back out by itself with only a 2" scratch to show.

Won't you run the risk of tweaking the frame of the car in a minor collision now though? With something like the type 2 kit maybe you could use a more modern bumper technology and fill it with shock absorbing material which should be more effective at protecting the car against damage.

My dad used to have a Ford Mondeo, he got rear-ended at the lights pretty hard and there was no damage to the bumper at all. I think it was filled with some sort of foam - it popped back out by itself with only a 2" scratch to show.

No more chance of tweaking the frame rails with the park benches installed, since I am using the original bumper shock mounts. Also, I do plan to use "bed-liner" on the inside of the fiberglass bumpers after paint and then fill the skirts around the support bars with expanding foam insulation for additional support and protection.

Originally thought about cutting down the original bumpers, releasing pressure from the bumper shocks, collapsing the shocks, and welding the shocks into a fixed position but that was going to be too tight of a fit behind the fiberglass. Also considered leaving the bumper shocks in place, collapsing them, and welding a 3/8"x3" wide steel bar across the bumper mounts, but decided to go with steel tubing so I could support the underside of the skirts from downward pressure.

Cool discussion guys, thanks!

• 2 months later...

I just got a ticket for no front bumper ($200) and no rear bumper ( $200) and no front license plate ($200).

I tried to explain that the bumpers were custom and INSIDE the body panels,  but the cop did not see it my way.

Now I have to go to the Sheriff's station and see what counts as a 'bumper'.

Hope you have better luck in Arkansas.

• Like 1

I just got a ticket for no front bumper ($200) and no rear bumper ( $200) and no front license plate ($200).

I tried to explain that the bumpers were custom and INSIDE the body panels,  but the cop did not see it my way.

Now I have to go to the Sheriff's station and see what counts as a 'bumper'.

Hope you have better luck in Arkansas.

Luckily here, the cops don't enforce those laws when you have an Antique plate on the car. Although, our definition for an "Antique Plate" states the vehicle must be restored to original condition. Thank goodness most have never seen a ZCar in original condition around here to compare too! Good luck, I hope the judge gives you a "grandfather clause" exception.

I had planned on doing the same thing, except I was thinking about making my own shocks to preserve the frame in a fender bender. I was thinking of making a cylinder with a 2 pieces of tube, one who's ID equals the other's OD, capping the inner one and filling the "cylinder" with a dense foam and tacking the 2 pieces together so that in a collision the tack would break and the foam absorb energy. Now to find appropriately sized tube and what foam to use. Any suggestions?

Also did you slip roll your "rebars"? Unfortunately I don't have access to that kind of equipment, so I'll have to add some pie cuts.

Edit: Although I'm not worried about being ticketed for improper bumpers, I am worried about insurance coverage if my car is in an accident and found to not have the proper bumpers.

Edited by m1ghtymaxXx

The park bench bumpers were added at the last minute to accomodate US regulations for 5 MPH crash bumpers. I've never heard of a state in the US, don't know about Int'l laws, requiring additional protection above the regulations that were in place at the time of original manufacture. That being said, it's a matter of choice. Unibody designs with frame rails are a reasonably safe design. Since we used the original bumper mounts and mount points welding the square tubing directly to the mounts, I have the same amount of protection, if not more. I just don't have shock absorbance obviously of the park benches.

The park bench bumpers were added at the last minute to accomodate US regulations for 5 MPH crash bumpers. I've never heard of a state in the US, don't know about Int'l laws, requiring additional protection above the regulations that were in place at the time of original manufacture. That being said, it's a matter of choice. Unibody designs with frame rails are a reasonably safe design. Since we used the original bumper mounts and mount points welding the square tubing directly to the mounts, I have the same amount of protection, if not more. I just don't have shock absorbance obviously of the park benches.

I'm not concerned about the safety aspect of not having the diving board bumpers. My concern is weather the insurance company would ever cover my claim if I ended up in an accident, since presumably the damage would be greater without them. For that reason, a set of stock 240Z bumpers would probably be a better choice since they look factory, however that would be an expensive option and I'd never find them local to me.

sorry, I wasn't implying that insurance would cover damage completely. Any customization to a vehicle is subject to underwriter approval. Probably best to to validate with your insurance company before modifying or go to an specialty insurance company like Haggerty.

sorry, I wasn't implying that insurance would cover damage completely. Any customization to a vehicle is subject to underwriter approval. Probably best to to validate with your insurance company before modifying or go to an specialty insurance company like Haggerty.

Unfortunately I have 2 years to go before the 10 years driving experience Haggerty requires. My current insurer will only touch stock vehicles, which mine is currently with the exception of of "invisible" suspension mods, LSD and exhaust. The car desperately needs to shed the diving board bumpers and I was going to do a duckbill and air dam while I'm at it.