HybridZ

Time to replace turbocharger

Heroez

I have 200k on the turbo 280zx and the turbo may be making a noise. Anyway, I was studying the GT30 type turbocharger as a good replacement for the old TB03 that came stock on my car. Searches here dont pull up much info on a gt30 turbo unless its about the RB25 motor. So Im looking for information. Anyone done it? Whats involved? Custom made downpipe and exhaust will be done at the same time if need be.

I actually got some good thread results from google, better than in site search box. Strange. I just need to know if its a simple bolt on, what size spacer, whats involved, Possible problems etc. I just want the info before making a purchase...

Well my word of advice, which I'm sure you know by now, is don't get the generic ebay ones. I've heard horror stories about those. Some wear out instantly due to the shaft imbalance from the manufacture that was never addressed. Others shatter sometime down the road for no reason. Some work out fine, but most of the things I've heard about them is the bearings wear out really fast on them if no mishaps occur.

But back to what you were saying, why upgrade? why not rebuild the stock one? I'm rebuilding a T04E and have done 1 other turbo before. As long as you source a good rebuild kit you can do it. Unless the wheels have scored the housing and such. Then it's a little more involved. But its all doable. Are you looking for more power?

I have heard of comparisons between the qualities, but thanks for making sure. Why upgrade? I guess it seems the right time. 200k seems to be the general replace/rebuild time. Mine is on its way out. I cant prove it. Just from driving it, I feel like I can tell. small chirping sound. Anyhow, it seems like general maintenance. To update the turbo at the same time seemed logical. Why not rebuild? I thought about it. I would have to get it balanced after the kit, so I may as well let them handle that too. No not looking for more power so much. The car will stay stock untill painted. Just a daily driver. I have MS2 ready to wire in, IC, and bits. That comes later. Even then I would be keeping it 220-240 or so hp. Maybe later upgrade the chasis suspension and brakes for more. Either turbo would work really. A new tech gt30 seemed like a viable choice. Ball bearing to bring it on a bit faster. More efficent. If it takes a great ordeal to do the gt30 then no. If its a spacer, custom downpipe, exhaust, Im cool with that. I need new exhaust anyway. I have money for it. What would you do in my place?

Thanks for that, its good to know what you guys would do. It also tells me I have a lot to learn. I have a spare turbo motor so I may try my hand at porting that ones p90 and look into cams. Im sure I can find a how-to on head porting. This 200k motor will have to come out eventually. I log a lot of miles and nothing lasts forever. Im going to try searching again tonight. I dont want to go in blind. Surely someone wrote about a gt30 swap somewhere.

Edited by Heroez

My biggest concern is the downpipe. Trying to find someone willing and *able to make one is difficult here. Prefabricated ones dont exist. Is it harmful to drive the car with no exhaust coming off the turbo? I imagine it would be, the heat blowing out near the brake booster. I may have to drive 60 miles to a performance shop I trust, or get it towed.

It's not harmful necessarily like it would be with an N/A in the sense that after the turbo you want no back pressure as possible; you dont need the pressure for exacuation purposes. However, that head on the components wouldn't be necessarily a good thing. But you have a ZX, don't you have the stock heat sheid protecting the booster and master??

Why not just fab your own? Get one of those flanges off ebay and some pipe and weld one up?

Ive never done that before. Dont really know what Im doing. I would likely end up spending hours on something that hangs too low or is a half inch off from hooking up properly. I just dont have the confidence. I will be thinking about it though. I will go look at a couple 45s and pipe in 3 inch diameter. Maybe I can talk myself into it.

I second that!!!

OK, why a bigger turbo? It is a street car, something I drive often. I like the area the stock T30B starts working. 500 rpm sooner would be fun, and the ball bearing type would do that. My wife is begging me to spend money and I keep delaying. Dont factor in paint, its free for me. Set me up for success guys. Lay it on me.

Because the GT30 is a bigger turbo already??? If you're going to put a bigger one on, put a bigger one on. 500RPM isn't a big deal in spool time.

Are you still running the stock computer? I do not know how well it will handle anything other than the stock turbo without a LOT of fiddle-time. I know it won't handle a cam very well.

I have MS2 ecu and harness but hadnt installed it. Possibly later, gotta make time. Then I have to learn to tune it. I dont even have a zxt base map yet to get it up and running. Took me a long time to fix what was the matter with it so it could be driven. Its been 5 months driving the stock configuration car, now the turbo makes a chirping sound. :( I thought you meant like a gt35 or bigger. I also have a IAC a motorized one from a bmw or volvo. Mustang 6x coilpack, fpr, Big NPR IC. Not sure if I will use that NPR beast. Its huge! Bout the size of the radiator. No trigger wheel, so I may not use the coilpack at first. I was hoping to upgrade it gradually, but old chirpy the turbo ruined my plans. So it seems my destiny is to start at the turbocharger and exhaust. What do you think?

The down pipe isn't that hard to do. At least for me since I used mild steel pipe. You can get the stuff you need from Summit racing, a 90 degree mandrel bend and the v-band clamp kit. You can also get an O2 sensor bung. Let me know if you need help or want to stop by and see mine to get some ideas. I would recommend doing a complete exhaust system at the same time. I spent about $300 on my complete exhaust system (all mandrel bends).

Thanks Skirkland, Im at a stand still right now. Dont know what to buy. I thought a custom downpipe would let me get away from a 90° bend. 2 45s with a little extra work to get the correct bend was what I read up on a while back. Oh, if I farm out the head porting, what kind of questions should I ask to make sure they dont wreck the head?