HybridZ

VQ Engine Swap Information

Pharaohabq

Great thread, the VQ is a bit neglected as a swap for the S30 or the S130, as a track bloke I like being able to set the engine way back, estimated weight distribution  45/55 which will help get that power down. The sorted 6 speed VQ gearbox is also a strong unit and supercharger kits are not too expensive.

• 2 weeks later...

Pharaohabq -
I had the good fortune to stumble upon this thread and made an account just to post this. Obviously you're very knowledgeable about these engines so I'm hoping you (or anyone here!) can help me. I hope this isn't hijacking your thread too much but I figured others would benefit more if I posted here as opposed to sending a PM.

I have a G35 with nothing wrong with it except a bad motor (run into a deep puddle and sucked up water) along with a G37 that was t-boned driverside door and totaled but everything else is OK and the engine is immaculate. I wanted to swap the VQ37 into the G35 and figured it would work fine as the VQ37HR and VQ35HR have the same block, bore, etc.

I have only ever done maintenance stuff so I hired a mechanic known to a family member to do the swap. The mechanic, after removing the VQ37 said something similar to Doocam as far as the VVEL in the vq37 being different from the vq35. The mechanic told me he  called an infiniti tech who said the swap was possible but that a lot more wiring labor would be necessary and that it would cost a lot. However, on the phone a guy I was considering purchasing a VQ35 from told me something similar to your response to Doocam - that as far as differences between 35/37 it would just plug in and my only issue would be fooling the ECU.

I can't be sure but I think the mechanic may have exaggerated or just made up what he was told by the tech because he didn't want to mess with the computer system at all. He said that pretty much verbatim actually, though his main argument for buying a VQ35 to put in and selling the VQ37 was that it would be maybe double the labor cost total for the VQ37. There are only a few VQ35's within a few hours drive of me, and the only other option is buying sight-unseen online via junkyard/JDM dealer/ebay which seems like a very unwise risk to take given the high shipping costs and the very limited warranty.

What is the real deal here? Is the added difficulty not nearly as significant as my mechanic is saying?
I'm going to call an infiniti dealer myself and try to get a tech on the phone and ask them too (not sure why I haven't done that yet...)

I'm extremely grateful for any info relating to this situation.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
On 3/18/2020 at 12:38 PM, mbp123 said:

Pharaohabq -
I had the good fortune to stumble upon this thread and made an account just to post this. Obviously you're very knowledgeable about these engines so I'm hoping you (or anyone here!) can help me. I hope this isn't hijacking your thread too much but I figured others would benefit more if I posted here as opposed to sending a PM.

I have a G35 with nothing wrong with it except a bad motor (run into a deep puddle and sucked up water) along with a G37 that was t-boned driverside door and totaled but everything else is OK and the engine is immaculate. I wanted to swap the VQ37 into the G35 and figured it would work fine as the VQ37HR and VQ35HR have the same block, bore, etc.

I have only ever done maintenance stuff so I hired a mechanic known to a family member to do the swap. The mechanic, after removing the VQ37 said something similar to Doocam as far as the VVEL in the vq37 being different from the vq35. The mechanic told me he  called an infiniti tech who said the swap was possible but that a lot more wiring labor would be necessary and that it would cost a lot. However, on the phone a guy I was considering purchasing a VQ35 from told me something similar to your response to Doocam - that as far as differences between 35/37 it would just plug in and my only issue would be fooling the ECU.

The VVEL is exactly the issue, unless you have a VQ35DE in which case the later engines also have dual throttle bodies instead of a single one. There's no cheap clever trickery you can do to to just bolt up the engine where a VQ35 was. All the engine electronics have to be swapped over, and your electronics may or may not play well in the new chassis which is where at 350/370z group would come in handy. 

G35 isn't particularly expensive anymore, I'm not sure all the cost and effort would be worth it. Unless you're swapping the engine into some other fun project like an old Z like ours, you're better off just selling the engine and buying another G35 or 350z. If you have a manual tranmission in the G37 I'm sure the selling price of the engine/trans combo alone would get you most of the way to a decent G35.

4 hours ago, Zhuzh said:

I am very excited to start my project. I am still very interested in the differences between the VQ35HR and VQ37HR swaps, and what mounting braket kits are still available. 

Google is your friend for kits. Major differences are what I listed above.VVEL and .3L extra displacement are the most notable differences, but it's different and more difficult enough that I can count on one hand how many people are using the vq37 in a swap. 

• 2 years later...

I'm looking at using a VQ37VHR into a 280ZX because of extra power and better availability here over the VQ35HR. Do prefer the auto so thinking of using all the stock wiring and electronics with a piggyback computer for tuning purposes, E85 and maybe a supercharger later.

• 2 months later...
On 3/2/2020 at 2:20 AM, Pharaohabq said:

Anyone think I should re-write this? 

Hello!  Did you ever photo-document the VQ35DE swaps? I'm curious to see how it fits in the S30 bay. Not finding much online, but perhaps my search queries are not properly phrased.. I may have access to a 2006 350ZX 6 speed, so I'm trying to figure out the viability of the conversion. Having the donor vehicle would certainly make this less stressful than some of the other potential drivetrain swaps that inevitably have significant scope creep when you start sourcing all the oddball bits that weren't attached to the drivetrain.I can fabricate as needed, however templates for mounts etc, make life easier for sure. I saw you mention that earlier in the thread.

• 4 months later...
On 3/2/2020 at 2:20 AM, Pharaohabq said:

Anyone think I should re-write this? 

I would like to see an update, if it's possible. Some of the linked threads have dead photo links, etc.

I'm going to put a VQ35DE into my 75 280Z in a year or so. I have an '06 350Z manual as a donor. 

The types of things I can't find specifics on are examples of installs of headers that will work (one FB conversion said they used VQ35HR aftermarket headers (modified), but I can't find pics to aid in that, If the AC compressor can be made to work, and so on.

I plan to use the stock EMS, so links to experience/info on harness routing, component placement would be helpful

I bought the Apex-engineered VQ35-specific crossmember kit for the project, so I don't have to reinvent the wheel as far as geometry of the drivetrain in the chassis.

Edited by HusseinHolland

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/11/2023 at 2:23 PM, Daron1 said:

This is what my VQ37 header looked like after I modified it to fit. BTW I know my welding sucks!

Hey, as long as it's sound & doesn't leak.

I bought (cheap)  headers for a 370Z, after reading they work after the outlet is modded to point in the needed direction 

Screenshot2023-11-06at10_28_50PM.png.7513babfe1d7e0c819b094c1bd88d794.png

• 2 months later...

I think VQ swaps make more sense than some other more popular swaps, these are my opinions:

1. Weight
    A 240z weight about 1,000kgs or 2,200lbs.  L2x engine is I6 and iron block somewhere around 350lbs (?), VQ are all alloy around 330lbs (?).  I suspect the two engine engines weight about the same, VQ being twin cam and 24v etc.  After the swap, the overall weight won't go up by much, if at all.
  2. Weight placement
    VQ will sit further back, mostly if not all behind the front axle, making the finished car a front mid engine.
  3. Center of gravity
    Lower center of gravity is the goal, VQ being a V engine helped some here but may not be much with twin cams and all.
  4. Power to weight
    VQ35HR has 305 hps, that would be 305 hp/2200lbs, that is 1hp for 7.3 lbs, for perspective, Ferrari F430 - 1517 Kgs (3344 lbs) with 483 hps  that would be 1hp for 6.92lbs.  

• 5 weeks later...

@toffee You know you can just do an image search to see where the engine sits, but spoiler it is behind the crossmember. I don't know why this matters so much though. The main thing I don't like about the VQ is the intake manifold with the rear exit, which means you have to chop off your factory hood latch and fit in some other form of latch instead. A turbo L-series will make over 300hp, but all the wear item parts on the L-series are becoming way overpriced. The LS family is the best for the money by far, and the arguably best manual transmission in the world is what bolts to them natively. Also you can fit an LS and TR6060/magnum in the car with the only modification to factory metal being some clearance of the stock transmission crossmember ears.