HybridZ

LS1 or LS2 motor into 240z - Budget wise.

An LS2 is a much improved motor compared to an LS1.  They fixed quite a few things in the transition.  I'm running a crate LS2.  I made my own mounts so the LS2 pan was no problem.  The LS2 pan is suppose to do a better job of oil control than the LS1 pan.  It also allows you to get the motor a bit lower.

With a new crate motor and new trans I probably had a bit over $10K in getting the car on the road.  But that was 5 years ago when LS2 motors were massively more expensive than the LS1 stuff and a used T56 transmissions that might need a rebuild were more expensive then a new TKO trans.  The more you make yourself the more $$ you will save.  Making a bracket allowed me to use a Denso alternator I got from a JY for $20.

Your cheapest option nowadays is probably an iron block 6.0L truck motor.  LS1 motors are all getting pretty old and harder to come by.  When comparing options keep in mind you need to pay attention to the cost of sourcing a trans, accesories and maybe an oil pan.

As for kits, whatever you have the patience and skills for.  Custom mounts let you get the motor positioned better than the John's car stuff.  Allowed me to fit the shorter TKO trans and get a carb'd intake under the stock hood.

Edited by zdlite

The cost of converting to LS depends on your abilities and tools . Mine was way less than 5K , maybe 3K . Me and Matt did everything ourselves . IMO , the best way and the cheapest is to start with a donor car ( F body ) .

Eh yes and no on the 6.0. They're almost twice as much as 5.3's around here then to source an ls1 pan and alt bracket etc... If you're good at sourcing parts then it'll be close to the same but if I had to do it all over I'd probly wait another few months and buy a totaled z28 and go that route. Sourcing the Trans is the worst part in my experience.

Plus if you boost the 5.3 or 6.0 and blow the engine another 5.3 is cheaper to come by lol

Edited by EastTnZ

5.3 and 6.0 dont ware out like the ls1s do because no one beats on them. mine has 160k miles on it and the bearings look brand new. would be another option if you dont mind losing a little power.

Obviously you've never driven a company vehicle.

• Like 1

Sweet.  Sounds like I need to think about beefing mine up already and it's not even moving on its own power yet.  Thanks for the info and I'll look into the solid axle some more.

do this , and you will be fine>>>>>post-36683-0-78279700-1367256125_thumb.jpgpost-36683-0-91089300-1367256157_thumb.jpg Q45 Diff  :icon12:

Holy crap! Wellll probably not going that route... I could buy quite a few spares or do something for cheaper than that but thanks for the info and pricing :)

Low $ a nice rat rod, mid $ a  dependable ride with minor problems with enjoyment , high $ = a SUPERCAR  with smiles on every mile   :icon12:

Edited by PLATA

Just depends on how picky you get and how neurotic you are. Find your standard and build to it. They are ALL supercars. If you get crazy with the "while you are at its", you can really get bogged down and misdirect a lot of money. The goal should be to start and finish and not waste a good chassis and a good powertrain by locking it up in a wet basement until it all goes to crap because you didn't get your biggest tool in order: money!

^^^ in most eyes the red 240 an average Ebay findpost-36683-0-63592100-1367285846_thumb.jpgpost-36683-0-03694800-1367286107_thumb.jpeg for 7k $ or so Z>>>>> the lime green Z a supercar post-36683-0-93434600-1367286240_thumb.jpgpost-36683-0-27021800-1367286265_thumb.jpg that is well documented on the web for over 100 K US $  :icon12: I do agree that our Z's are very special to their owners but there is a vast gap to be in the  SUPERCAR  category >>>> FWIW .

Edited by PLATA

Plata - you are giving out info that just isn't right. You didn't build your car and the bill you are quoting to be honest is a shop rate to do the work. I am no trying to be a ball buster but state facts and not opinion based on the money spent building your car. The q45 dif swap is no where near $2700 - pick n pull diff and 4 axles - MMS or AZCAR or TTT mounts and custom axles/adapters can be done for $1200 or even $1500. Depends on how much work you want to put into getting the swap done on a budget. I didn't like the Q45 setup so i ditched it.

Today the swap can be done for much less if you are keeping it simple - exactly what that means a stock engine any combo, higher miles, stock harness and JCi mounts.

It just depends on what you want your car to look like and perform......ask me how I know.....about to build my 3rd LS1 Z car.

Edited by EvilC

Yes I know that and I wouldn't post unless I myself knew the history of your car too. Just because a shop charges $x to do something doesn't make it the standard to get the work done. Again I am not knocking David because I know he was very busy when he started that swap back in 05/06 but when someone is asking what something cost to do please state the fact that a shop did some of the work you are quoting.

For fun I asked a local shop here how much would it be to just mount the LS1/t56 in my car and I finish the rest - they said $4600 @ $110/hr = 41 hours! Anyone who has done the basic swap can tell you that is crazy!