HybridZ

10mm Inverted Flare Brake Tee?

Alright I've been searching and I'm not hitting the right keys, or something, but I'm in the process of doing the rear 240SX conversion on my 280Z. I decided to go with new hard lines at the rear splitter/tee so I could shorten them and run the stainless braided lines from up near the entrance to the wheel well rather than cutting out the old mount and just leaving a brake line floating there unsupported. I'm having a really rough time getting these lines out without destroying them and I'm hoping I'm not ruining the threads in the tee in the process. The fittings seem to thread in ok after the old are removed, but I'm not sure. I can get them to start to brake free then after about a half turn the things start getting really hard to turn and my flare wrenches start tearing up the nut. I managed to finally get one out after using vice grips in 1/6 turn increments. Anyway I've been trying to source a new 3-Way 10mmx1.0 inverted flare tee in case I have to replace mine and I'm having a really hard time finding one. A few of the Earl's fittings I've found I don't know if they're inverted flare, bubble flare, or if the block is 10mmx10mm. So if anyone has any options on this. Also I haven't gotten under and fully checked, but I'm assuming the line that runs from the factory proportioning valve all the way to that rear tee is a single line with no unions. I'm hoping I don't have to remake that...

Edited by DuoWing

I had a really hard time finding that piece. If john has it I would definitely buy from him as it will save a lot of trouble.

The options I came down to were

A. cut out old proportioning valve and use as a split tee

B. buy a 3/8-24 tee and run 3/8-24 to 10x1.0mm inverted male to female adapters

C. buy a 3/8-24 tee and a flaring kit and change the fittings that meet at the tee and reflare the line

I ended up going with C since that was what they had at my parts store. Just remember you have to bleed both sides if you change anything with the lines, simultaneously if possible.

i sent johnc a pm so I'm hoping to hear back if he does. I have a 280z, and I've seen it mentioned that the Tee at the rear which splits the left and right side has some sort of proportioning valve in it? I just assumed it was simply a tee. Anyway I've been looking for a 3/8-24 male inverted flare to 10x1.0mm female inverted flare and they don't seem to exist. I was searching for these to easily adapt the Wilwood to the Z without having to make and flare new lines. Interestingly I came across a post on a Miata forum where the guy was saying it was easy to make NPT to 10x1mm adapters and that all you had to do was chamfer the ends of a 10x1 tap and then run it through the 3/8-24 section of the adapter. This now has me wondering if it really is that easy we might have a really cheap solution for some of these things. Especially for the Wilwood. I'm a little off topic at this point, but it is frustrating seeing how little there is in the way of 10x1 inverted flare fittings when they don't seem to be that uncommon. 

Edited by DuoWing

The rear split is used as a prop valve in most cars, i think there was a year when it was in the engine bay. but you can pull out the valve seat and regulating needle and spring and use it just as a straight tee.

Check eBay, that's where I got my 3/8-24 male to 10x1.0mm female inverted adapters from (I can look up the seller when I get home). They were like 5$ a piece. The fed hill type lines are really good, the CuNiFer lines bend really easily and it's hard to link them unless you are shooting for a really right bend.

Edit: I think John was pointing actually to this, not the brake lines.

http://store.fedhillusa.com/tm183.aspx

Sorry on phone no hyperlink

Edited by seattlejester

Whoops looks like I may have found the wrong link. I was using my phone at the time.

BTW the seller is goodbrakes on ebay who carries the 10x1.0 female to 3/8-24 male adapters. They sell both the bubble and inverted flare style so be aware when you are ordering.

That looks like a good option ktm. I may have to pick that up. The Wilwood proportioning valve and NPT to Metric inverted flare adapters I'm using I picked up from a Mazda site so the Mazda/Miata community might be some viable alternatives to some of these things.