HybridZ

vinegar therapy - rust removal inside coolant passages

PapaSmurf

So I finally figured out why I've been having so many issues with this junkyard f54 block. I got it torn all the way down and on the engine stand, then I skimmed off all gasket material and removed as much paint as I could. The plan is to get it into the machinist as clean as possible so he can get it even cleaner in the tank. While I was brushing off the paint I peered into the front coolant passage and noticed something interesting - rust stalagmites/stalactites the passages were almost blocked. This lines up with the state of the water pump pretty much rotten. I also pulled out what appeared to be a chunk of a wire brush from the coolant loop in the head going to the heater core! This is the kind of thing that might be blowing my head gaskets and causing some overheating :icon56: so I made a block off plate for the front coolant passage going to the water pump and I've filled the water jackets with vinegar.

post-1143-0-54659500-1368294389_thumb.jpg

block off plate made with sheet metal and permatex

post-1143-0-97667800-1368294400_thumb.jpg

the vinegar ate through the permatex :icon11:

post-1143-0-66161800-1368294413_thumb.jpg

post-1143-0-86457900-1368294423_thumb.jpg

post-1143-0-23671400-1368294436_thumb.jpg

I have some cleanup work ahead of me.

So has anyone tried this? I hear it works and it's safer than muriatic acid just slower. If it works I'll be doing this with my heater core as well I'm sure it's full of rust. I need to replace or tank the radiator before it all goes back together too. It's been sitting like this for a day now I can still see the vinegar bubbling and popping out the coolant jackets presumably disolving rust. If this works I've just found an awesome new tool

Edited by PapaSmurf

Yeah I considered alternatives but at $2 a gallon I figured vinegar was the most economical choice. Gotta save whatever scratch I can for the machine shop they tend to overcharge quite a bit. They know they're the only decent shop in the area not so much because of know how but because they're the only ones who have decent machines.

Edited by PapaSmurf

Becuase of hazmat disposal problems alot of machine shops dont have the good old caustic soda hot tanks anymore.It was well worth the $40 or so for a good hot tank cleaning-everything stripped to clean shiny metal.I have heard that clr stuff you get at the hardware store works on rusty water jackets.Trying that next week.

Edited by randy 77zt

You can get hot-tanking done in L.A.! 

$150 though...

They're out there, you just gotta look. For that kind of money....welll... Lets use the CPI adjuster to rationalize it back to our same fee from 1979!

Damn environmentalists make our hobby so expensive. I've seen people build their own tanks out of a parts washer and hot water heating element but its kind of overkill for me at the moment. Someday when I build my dream garage - (with smaller attached house) I might set one up.

I found a guy local that has a small tank but for 80 bucks I think I'd rather invest that somewhere else the vinegar is on day 3 and still hasn't finished. I think I've got another 4 days to go but I still don't have the cash to get this decked yet gotta get the crank polished too before I go putting it back together. There is a part of me screaming just put it together and drive but I know I'll regret it lol

I have used Sulfamic Acid, which is about 0.77¢ / LB, but it ONLY attacks calcium.

After mixing water in solution I will run the engine at temperature for a while...

Then chelate it wit Caustic Soda...

The Sulfamic acid takes out the calcium from bad water, the caustic takes out a lot of the black crap and rust.... Though the head can suffer from such harsh treatment...

Haven't had the time to make a hot burner...got a 1/2 55-gal stainless steel drum and a Wilden Teflon pump to circulate it... If I can figure a bolt-on head fixture to pump hot caustic through the block in a reverse flow direction I think the results would be pretty good without having to make a whole hot tank. The issue of the core plugs does rear it's head with this option as well...

I have used Sulfamic Acid, which is about 0.77¢ / LB, but it ONLY attacks calcium.

After mixing water in solution I will run the engine at temperature for a while...

Then chelate it wit Caustic Soda...

The Sulfamic acid takes out the calcium from bad water, the caustic takes out a lot of the black crap and rust.... Though the head can suffer from such harsh treatment...

Haven't had the time to make a hot burner...got a 1/2 55-gal stainless steel drum and a Wilden Teflon pump to circulate it... If I can figure a bolt-on head fixture to pump hot caustic through the block in a reverse flow direction I think the results would be pretty good without having to make a whole hot tank. The issue of the core plugs does rear it's head with this option as well...

I was just about to ask if anyone has tried a commercial descaler like Sulfamic Acid or ScaleKleen (aluminum salts).  

I've had great success using those to descale espresso machine boilers.  They'll strip a solid 1/4" thick coating of calcium build-up in 30 min. and make a copper boiler look like a brand new penny.  But, like you said, the head would suffer.  Neither are friendly to aluminum.

Head suffers from the CAUSTIC, not the Sulfamic acid. That stuf is VERY specific, we used it because its so aggressive against calcium, but doesnt attach copper, aluminium, steel, brass, or cast iron!

You can get hot-tanking done in L.A.! 

$150 though...

They're out there, you just gotta look. For that kind of money....welll... Lets use the CPI adjuster to rationalize it back to our same fee from 1979!

Yep, though I paid $90 for hot tanking in Fullerton a few years ago and the shop was apologetic about the price!

Call around to engine shops and they'll point you in the right direction.

I made a block off plate for the water pump and filled a crusty l28 block with the clr stuff you get at hardware stores.The soak time was 3 days.All rust was removed and results looks like a good old school hot tank job-bare grey metal.Stuff was $26/gallon though.I was %100 happy with the results.Rinsed very well with water when done.I would try vinegar becuse its cheaper bit I am kind of skeptical about it beating the clr.

Well the rust is gone vinegar worked! I took my crankshaft in to get it polished and balanced today and I was turned away he said it was too long (gigity) so I took it to a different guy. The worst sort of machinist the profiteer. Guy quoted me 100dollars to polish and measure it. He said it would be 70 bucks just to polish without measuring and he was telling me that he could balance it but its not like balancing a tire its involved lol he started trying to prepare me for a huge markup and I just turned him down. I think I still got screwed 100 bucks for a polish? Seems unreasonable. Im pretty sure I can't afford a good running engine

I made a block off plate for the water pump and filled a crusty l28 block with the clr stuff you get at hardware stores.The soak time was 3 days.All rust was removed and results looks like a good old school hot tank job-bare grey metal.Stuff was $26/gallon though.I was %100 happy with the results.Rinsed very well with water when done.I would try vinegar becuse its cheaper bit I am kind of skeptical about it beating the clr.

The vinegar takes longer but at 2 bucks a gallon it's a great option if you're waiting for money/parts and she's apart. it took 2 cycles to remove the bulk of the rust so it cost me $4 dollars instead of $100 for tanking or $30 for clr. that's money saved to spend in other places.