HybridZ

Need Help... Assistance with doors that have been gutted and reassembly

Hi guys.  My Z has been in a state of restoration for several years and basically been sitting after I had a small accident with it.  I had the body completely stripped and media blasted several years ago.  I was working on it with a slightly unstable but good body guy who one day showed up to my house, set off the alarm, took his tools and left after having a temper tantrum because he had cut holes in the rear valance for through dual exhaust in the wrong spots twice.  Nothing like having an unstable person in their mid-forties losing it and throwing tools around the garage.  fun is.    

I want to get her going again but parts are everywhere from having moved twice since it was taken apart. 

I need assistance figuring out the most logical way of reassembling the doors and what parts are needed to do so.  My parts are in plastic totes and in a few spots in the house, and I'm having a very hard time determining where to start and what parts to start with....  Any help? Pretty please.

Thanks

The FSM should be enough although I'll have to admit it'll be MUCH easier if you see one whole, take it apart, and put it back together again. 

You'll start with all the door handle, lock, and latch mechanisms.  Lots of rods and they all need to be put in place correctly - 2 ways to open the door latch, 2 ways to lock the door latch...

Then you'll do the window regulator and a small 2-bolt horizontal channel that part of the regulator rides in.  Then the window glass onto the 2 regulator arms, then the nearly vertical forward channel that the window slides up and down in.  Then the window frame, adjust the bolts on the channels and the frame so it fits, follows the body line, and the window moves up and down and into the frame properly and snugly.  Piece of cake.  Then door card, handles, trim, door pull(s) and trim on the outside of the door (squeegee trim) - and I've probably forgotten something, but I'm old...  But, you haven't said what year the 280 is - '77-'78 = wee bit different than the earlier 280's.

Thanks. Don't have a fsm. Just trying to get the parts found and organized is proving to be a challenge at this point. I don't know anyone nearby with a z for me to take a look at so there is going to be some trial and error. I finally got it running again. I had taken the heads off years ago in an effort to create a drag race style engine but I gave up on the idea. I grabbed a set of vortec heads off a friends truck took them apart cleaned them up and put them on. Two of the head bolt holes stripped out during the install creating more roadblocks. After alot of late nights, it fired up Saturday night giving me renewed motivation on the project. :)

I've decided to sell some of the engine parts that I was going to use if you know anyone looking. A set of afr heads and victor jr intake with roller rockers never run since the machine shop.

Also a set of s&s 13/4" full length headers that were slightly clearances for the steering rod then ceramic coated. Never run. Currently sitting under the bed in the house. Significant other says they have to go.

Thanks. Don't have a fsm. Just trying to get the parts found and organized is proving to be a challenge at this point. I don't know anyone nearby with a z for me to take a look at so there is going to be some trial and error. I finally got it running again. I had taken the heads off years ago in an effort to create a drag race style engine but I gave up on the idea. I grabbed a set of vortec heads off a friends truck took them apart cleaned them up and put them on. Two of the head bolt holes stripped out during the install creating more roadblocks. After alot of late nights, it fired up Saturday night giving me renewed motivation on the project. :)

I've decided to sell some of the engine parts that I was going to use if you know anyone looking. A set of afr heads and victor jr intake with roller rockers never run since the machine shop.

Also a set of s&s 13/4" full length headers that were slightly clearances for the steering rod then ceramic coated. Never run. Currently sitting under the bed in the house. Significant other says they have to go.

post-1581-0-62395800-1370884443_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure how disassembled your doors are, but if I remember correctly from when I did it, the order for putting everything back in is:

Exterior handle

Window crank mechanism

Window

Lower roller rail (the one mounted in the door)- almost impossible to mount the window with it still on the door

Upper window frame

**Be sure you adjust the window properly here**

Interior paneling

Interior handle

Thanks guys. Doors are completely stripped sprayed in ppg wash primer hanging on the car by the front hinges. The local z club is based out of New Hampshire and 2-3 hours away. Most people are from that area in the club. I was a member but nearly all the events were too far away to make it worthwhile attending. At this point, I am having a hard time locating the parts. My last move came down to the wire and friends were just putting everything in the garage in totes, so its not organized at all.

I've got a starting point now for the doors and that's what I needed. Once I'm into it, it should move along. I'm leaving all the interior and exterior trim and panels off until the paint is further along.

I've been thinking of sanding off the wash primer because in areas surface rust has popped up. I'd like to go with HOK epoxy primer but it can't be sprayed over etch primer. I'm a little worried about adhesion issues if I'm unable to get every little bit of the wash primer off.

• 4 months later...

I'd like to piggyback this Thread because I have a similar dilemma.  My car has been in mothballs for years due to an unanticpated "Life Change".  I am desperately trying to get it back together.  Similarly, I am trying to rebuild the door guts; but my 'issue' is a bit smaller.  Does anyone have an in tact window, w/ regulator hanger that they can post a pic of the SPECIFIC ORIGINAL Screw that holds the glass to the regulator hanger ?

I have buckets of screws & bolts, and am pretty fanatical about using the "correct" piece.  I found the threaded metal 'washers', and nylon 'washers'; but the threaded 'washer' hole is bigger than the threaded hole on the hanger that the glass mounts to.  I am likely not using the correct terminology; but, if you have an idea, or want clarification, please EMAIL me.

Thanks VERY MUCH !!

Stan

DogRescuer@iCloud.com