HybridZ

Bent shaft as a trophy? How about this?

Onion

Driving along about 5-6 car lengths behind someone, when out of nowhere, their front right wheel just EXPLODES out of where its supposed to be. Both ball joints exploded, steering rack sheared, and the brake line tore. Here's the results... That wheel with all the suspension attached to it would be quite the thing to just hang up on a garage wall, lol. 

3cfnN.jpg

3cfoV.jpg

3cfpK.jpg

3cfrj.jpg

3cfrO.jpg

Edited by Onion

Wow, that's not supposed to happen. The knuckle should never have failed especially on steering arm! Especially also on not very stressed area. From a fatigue standpoint, it would most likely failed elsewhere.

It would be interesting to know why (especially on straight road). Did they have a major imbalanced wheel? Improper torque on steering ball joint?

Back in the days when I was suspension designer, such a failure meant a potential recall. The car is 15y old, not sure it still applies but something wrong happenned. Glad you did not hit the wheel with your car, it could have hurt somebody bad !!!

Here's the story behind it. The car belongs to a lady who broke one of the ball joints. She brought it to the mechanic to get fixed. The two guys that were in the car were test driving it to make sure it was okay. They give it some gas once, the transmission shifts real hard, and then the wheels blows off the car. The lady driving on a broken ball joint resulted in the weakening of all of the other suspension components, which all just failed at the same time.

That's why people need to fix bad components on the car before they take out good components or none wear items . See it all the times . You wouldn't believe the number of cars that leave our shop with declined repairs and they're unsafe to be on the road .

At least the tire and oil filter are ok? To be honest, I see that happen on a lot of fire trucks and material handling equipment.

My theory is there was a crack or lack of lubrication somewhere that as the torque of the engine went up, it took the path of least resistance and caused the crack to completely snap, or the heat caused a break in the cast iron. At that point, if the wheel starts swinging around everywhere, it will take everything else with it nearby. Actually happened to my fire truck recently. =(