HybridZ

Sparco R100's in a 240Z

trackzpeed

I got them in my 280z, but had to modify a set of planted seat brackets. And at 140 per bracket may not be the most practical solution. But I've had them in for about 6 months without issue. And keep in mind the 280 has a wider trans tunnel than the 240z

Just went to the Planted site, they look exactly like the bracket I ordered from Sparco... they probably build it for them. Did yours look pretty much like this? 

http://www.plantedtechnology.com/s/cc_images/cache_3714995004.jpg?t=1354744982

What did you have to modify? And did you bash in your tunnel? 

Edited by thedarkie

I had to re-drill the holes, then weld fill them to get it closer to the trans tunnel. I had to have a buddy push the seats in as tight as possible against the trans tunnel while I bolted them down, I added two washers to level it out. They were originally hitting the door, but now they barely touch it. Doesn't affect the car at all. I'll take some pics when I get home.

I had to re-drill the holes, then weld fill them to get it closer to the trans tunnel. I had to have a buddy push the seats in as tight as possible against the trans tunnel while I bolted them down, I added two washers to level it out. They were originally hitting the door, but now they barely touch it. Doesn't affect the car at all. I'll take some pics when I get home.

Which holes did you drill out? The ones that mount the bracket to the floor, or the holes for the seat bolts? If you were referring to the ones that bolt the bracket to the floor, did you essentially just have to widen the holes to get the entire bracket towards the trans tunnel? Just mentally prepping myself for when the brackets show up :)

Welp, the Sparco bracket was a damn waste of money... now I gotta deal with trying to return/exchange it.

The front tabs are positions and angled properly...

elas3DC.jpg

But the 2 rear mounting pads have nothing to do with reality...

QoZdllb.jpg

Their site, selecting the 74.5-78 260/280Z displays the part number which I ordered and supposedly received, as per the label..

http://www.sparcousa.com/product/seat-base-600-series

Anyone care to confirm their late 260z and 280z floors look like whats in my photos? Both the front and back 2 mounting holes in my late 260Z are angled. This bracket should've had the back holes on tabs built similarly to the front ones... bah! $140!

Edited by thedarkie

Well, looking at the photos you might need the the other brackets. From my understanding the 260z has a different size trans tunnel which affects the type of bracket . Also, I used the planted brackets which are pretty good fitment to the body, however they need modification to the seat side. I would contact sparco for a refund and try the planted. A bit more expensive but very well made.

http://www.amazon.com/Planted-SB138DR-Datsun-Driver-Bracket/dp/B00866I0H0

edit: I think Im realizing there's something different about the floor and mounting points in my car... Im looking at photos of others and none of them look like mine. The 240Z is totally different, and the photos Im seeing of 260s and 280s are also slightly different. This is just plain strange because it looks factory. 

Ive outlined the locations where my 'stock' sliders bolted to. The holes are all on a vertical angle..

gyhTWW7.jpg

Edited by thedarkie

Figures I luck out with a bastard 260z

Sparco and Planted both got back to me, good service so far. I'm gonna send dimensions to Planted and see what they can do..otherwise Sparco offered to send me some tabs to have welded on. And my guess was right, Planted build the brackets for Sparco.

Hey, TheDarkie! Your car is a late 260, right? My early 260 had 240-style rails and a narrow transmission tunnel.

Oh, have you read any reviews on the Sparcos? What I've seen hasn't been very good. I was all excited by them until reading what some people have to say about their comfort and durability. There have been enough negative comments that I've reverted back to wanting BMW e30 sport seats.

I like the R100. I don't use my car enough to worry about durability to be honest... they look and feel great to me. On the other hand, you can only expect so much for the price, so yeah. E30 sport seats are awesome.

Mine is late-ish 260. Has a tunnel bulge, but different seat mounting compared to 240 and 280Z. I spoke with Sparco and their manufacturer (Planted) and they narrowed down which base I need after I sent em measurements and photos. They'll be updating their websites accordingly... apprently my car is a very narrow number of S30s that had these kinds of brackets. 

Edited by thedarkie

• 1 month later...

^^^ are your seat rails 13 inch from left to right mounting holes ? I have a 10/74 260z and am looking at bride rails ....they make them for our cars but the dimensions listed under my year are totally different from where my mounting points are.

Edited by theatriks

The distance left to right (center to center) was 12.5" +/-

I suggest you snap a photo of your floor, measure the holes side to side as well as front to back and take special note of whether the rear holes are flat or angled (scroll up for my pic) and then send that info to sales@plantedtechnology.com if you can use their brackets. Jeff helped me out a ton- the bracket they had listed (and Sparco) for 74+ cars didn't fit at all in mine. I had to send him the measurements and photos and it turned out they designed brackets for my specific car as well- they were just never sure which particular model years were what. My car (and possibly yours) was an oddity, but they manufactured bases for it anyway.

This is the bracket they first sent me for a '74 car- note the rear mounting tabs. After we figured out what I needed, they sent me the right brackets with angled tabs front and back.

post-32065-0-34354300-1420143201_thumb.jpg

^^^ are your seat rails 13 inch from left to right mounting holes ? I have a 10/74 260z and am looking at bride rails ....they make them for our cars but the dimensions listed under my year are totally different from where my mounting points are.

Edited by thedarkie

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey Theatriks!

Looks great!

What are you using for a harness bar?  I am thinking of going with the Autopower/ motorsport scca bar.  Just concerned about getting the seat back far enough, and head clearance.  I am 6'4" so this will raise some concerns with helmets. 

Finishing suspension up.  but did get driver seat out and the planted brackets line up mint. Teknotik is a dealer in Canada. talk to Eric

• 1 month later...