HybridZ

Extended Wheel Studs for the front needed - but what and where to get?

I need to fit extended wheel studs to make sure my new brake and wheel setup on the front is safe. I'd like M12X1.5 and prefarably ARP so they are the same as the rears will be. But I've no idea which ones to get or where to get them.

Can anyone help me.

Having a look there it seems its the FC I need, although FD seem to be the same also.

Do they definitly work? As its gives me a knurl diameter or 0.509 which is 12.92mm I was told that the Datsun Knurl is 13mm, is this close enouth to work?

Early S13 fits aswell. Cheap and good selection of different lengths.

Yeah, I found those ones but only in 12x1.25 thread which I didn't want as I wanted mine to match the 12x1.5 thread of the ones in my stub axles.

I just recently did the extended stud thing. It was way easier than I expected. I know lots of guys hammer them out and use a nut to pull them into place. You gotta pull the front hubs and separate the rotor-that is a pretty easy job that I can give tips for if you've never done it. The rear stubs I had already pulled for a bearing replacement. That job is aweful the first time but after the fifth or sixth time it is a breeze. With the hubs and stubs in my hand, I then pressed out the old studs and pressed in the new ones with a Harbor Frieght press(their cheapest hydraulic press). You can do the fronts in a day-plan a weekend for the rears. If you have done a disc brake rear conversion, you may be able to just smack out the old studs with a hammer, but the backing plate may be in the way if you still have drums. Maybe a strategically placed hole could be drilled in the backing plate?? Anyway, as a newby, I thought that the splines on the studs had to fit into corresponding splines in the hub/stud. Not so! The hub and stub are just drilled without splines and the splines in the studs just kind of cut in a little bit when you press them in. So the spline count doesnt matter-just the diameter of the splined portion. Hope that gives you the confidence to jump right in.

We removed and installed the studs with a hammer (all hubs off the car). We drilled 2 holes in a 4x4 to support the rear hub and allow the installed studs to protrude down into and on the outside of the 4x4 without hitting the ground. The front hub has the nose for the bearings facing out so you need 2 4x4s side by side with the hub between sitting on the edges of the flange. A hydraulic press is better but we did not have one.

Regardless of how you push in the studs do what you can to keep the studs aligned with the center axis. A  few of ours went slightly off axis and it makes the threads bind a bit while running the lug nuts down because we use the long shank mag style nuts. With taper seat nuts that won't be a problem but you still want to get the studs on axis the best you can. If you still have drum brakes it will bind on the holes in the brake drum as well.

I agree. My studs were slightly misaligned at first, but running the tapered nuts down tight against a stock steel rim and torquing them down aligned everything fine. And I'm finding out that there is no such thing as too long (that should garner some giggles). I'm about to have to use spacers to get my brake kit to clear, and suddenly my extended studs don't seem so long. Get them as long as you can find them.

• 3 weeks later...

To get my ARP studs (100-7708) in my 78 Datsun z I used an impact and some open end lug nuts and sucked them right in. Just be careful and watch the back of the stud closely as it goes in and stop the impact because you don't want to damage the threads. It only took seconds to install them that way. This is after I removed the hubs.

Also, check Dorman products for longer studs.

Installation:

• Front: Put hub in vise. Knock out the stud with a hammer. Insert stud in hole and pull it through using an open lug nut and washers to take up the slack as the stud pulls through the hub. I used an impact wrench,  but a ratchet would work as well.
  • Rear: There is just enough room to replace stock studs with stock drum brakes with the rear hubs on the car. Knock out the stud with a hammer and pull the new stud through using a lug nut. You might be able to get a longer stud in the same way. No problem at all If you have disk brakes.

From my notes:  http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/52907-wheel-studsreplacements/?&p=473102&hl=%2Bwheel+%2Bstuds&fromsearch=1

Edited by Miles