HybridZ

Parking brake cable

• 5 weeks later...

Using an e-brake for drag racing?  I'm curious how that works, or do you just mean to hold the car in a parking spot or during staging?  Anyways, I got one for about $160 (not cheap) from the local Nissan dealer.  I don't know where they found it in their system but I guess the same place that Courtesy does.  I seem to recall that if your self adjust mechanism on the rear calipers is not working properly, the e-brake can be a pain in the butt for constant adjusting.

• 8 months later...

I used mine as an ersatz line-lock.

Rolled into staging and stopped using the ebrake...throttled up clutched in, and at the appropriate time clutch dumped and dropped the brake. Really consistent times.

Worked for me. I can see how using it to make boost would work as well...but it's gotta be he'll on the clutch!

• 2 months later...

I just rebuilt mine.

Grabbed a length of the plastic clad e-brake cable from a '91 Maxima.

Removed the guts from the two failed e-brake cables on the Z.

Cut appropriate lengths of the (sic) new cable, stripped the ends, threaded them through the old cable sheaths, turned some new 316 stainless ends on the lathe, and silver soldered onto the cables.

New boots out of silicone rubber.

About any local small general aviation airport will have the ability to make about any cable you want if the outer cover is intact and reuseable.

Basically what the above post did, they can do....being for aircraft, it's not done in a hinkey manner.

Along with what Tony said, alot of the good Motorcycle repair shops with experienced mechanics can shorten or make new cables for not alot of money.

The Nemesis of the Government: "Fat Old White Dudes with Large Beards who can Shorten Cables."

Pull in there, you get on The List...

Edited by Tony D