HybridZ

E31 L26

9/73-E31-260z

"people usually don't care about what kind of modifications they do when it comes to the 260Z"

:icon14:  :icon14:  :icon14:  :icon14: 

The perfect car for modifications in the USA, not a bulky pig like a 280Z.... not something expensive like the 240Z!

Better Electrics, and Factory Air in the USA, to boot!

"people usually don't care about what kind of modifications they do when it comes to the 260Z"

:icon14:  :icon14:  :icon14:  :icon14: 

The perfect car for modifications in the USA, not a bulky pig like a 280Z.... not something expensive like the 240Z!

Better Electrics, and Factory Air in the USA, to boot!

There's a reason why both of my Zs are early 260s... :D

Yeah, I was a little disappointed when I realized it was an L24 because if it were an L26 the E31 would've bumped performance quite a bit. But it also allows me more freedom to do whatever engine-wise since it's already been swapped before.

RB25 maybe...?

$3500 for turn-key stock engine, tranny, wiring, ecu, etc.

275 hp in a ~2400lb rwd car... sounds fun to me hahaha

if it were an L26 the E31 would've bumped performance quite a bit.

Compared to the E88 (one of them anyway, I believe there were several variations), the E31 just bumps the CR from 8.3 to 8.6.  Valves are the same size.  Probably a faction of a horse or a ft-lb. gained. 

I'm going from ozdat's engine calculator so might be missing something, but it looks like the E31 is bathed in the glow of the mysticism of unavailability here.  Happy to learn something different though, in case I see an E31 in the local yards.  In general, there don't seem to be many simple stock part swaps with the L6 that produce big gains, like you find with other engine platforms.  Easier to just swap a bigger engine.

http://www.ozdat.com/ozdatonline/enginedesign/

The reason for the E31's popularity has already been given:

The only reason to use or get wood over an E31 is because you are in a race class where you are restricted to use them in stock form.

Otherwise, there isn't anything all that special about them.

NewZed - actually since it is an early 260z the L26 it should have would've had flat top pistons and the conpression would have gone from 8.3:1 to 9.66:1. Which yes I would quantify as "quite a bit" because it is. It would at the very least bring it past even the UK spec L26 at least a little bit.

And the RB25 swap is hardly a me-too... there's no one in my area at all that has one in anything so it'd be quite unique... and I'm not just jumping on a bandwagon, I've done quite a bit of research and I've weighed it against things like an L28ET swap and for not that much more money it would have quite a lot more power potential. Not to mention be a bit more reliable and even economical. And you can't even accuse me of trying to be a GTR or something because they weren't in the GTR. And they didn't mention it once in the Fast and the Furious either...

The factory spec. for the 260Z was 8.8 CR.  Regardless, you're still applying the paradigms from other engine platforms.  Cranking up the CR alone does not do much.  From what I've gathered, an appreciable bump in CR will not give a comparative increase in performance.  It will make the engine more sensitive to fuel quality (octane rating) and more detonation-prone.  It's all covered in this forum, here and there.

Good luck.  If you're looking to be unique just pick a powerplant that nobody's ever done and make it work.

"there's no one in my area at all that has one in anything so it'd be quite unique"

San Diego? You need to get out more! Plenty of RB25's run around in all sorts of things, including Z's. 

In fact, the place that makes the bolt-in swap kit, McKinney Motorsports is just north of SD County line in Temecula/Murietta. 

My L28ET has been at 350 or thereabouts since 1985...pretty durable and economical. Though it wasn't an ET Swap, I made it out of a flat top N42/N42 JDM engine with L20ET bolt on parts. It's only gotten better with time.

Do you ever go to the ZCCSD meetings at the Denny's? They're hosting ZCON next year...you should probably attend, it will be an eye opener as to what really inhabits the SanDiego area. North Island has all sorts of stuff coming back from Yokuska all the time. And it goes out and prowls after dark...

I know Mckinney is up there but like you said it is past the county line. And I guess what I meant was there's hardly anyone in my area of San Diego and if they do have them I haven't seem them around. I don't even really see many s30's around. Of course with my luck it could just be me, last week my friend stumbled upon some private car meet consisting of a few GT40s, some Shelbys (inclusing like 10+ original Cobras, several signed by Shelby), and other crazy stuff. This kind of thing happens to him all the time -_-

And what I had seen with ZCCSD was mostly older owners (although I understand the majority of people my age don't tend to drive 40 year old two seater sports cars), I would like to see how many like college-age people have Z's around me. Anyone from East County SD?

Edited by 9/73-E31-260z

I actually have a stock tie down now, just working on making it fit. It also came with the platic tray for underneath so that's good. Is there a trick to getting it to fit or do I just need the threded rod for the front side of it? Cuz it kind of bends up away from the battery instead of hugging around it. I'll see if I can post a picture of it soonish, I just hadn't gotten to spend much time messing with it lately